Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if there have been thousands of threads like this. But I'm new to the site and am totally confused.

Anyway, I drive a 2001 Mitsubishi Ecplipse Spyder GT. I've lowered 1 1/4", slapped on a catback, and got shinier mirrors. I'm in the process of installing an Injen CAI. However I have seemed to hit a brick wall. Forced Induction.

When I asked about nitrous on YahooAnswers, I got a few "it's only dangerous if you add too much and/or don't reinforce your engine"'s and a couple of "You're immature, that's not for the street. I hope you get arrested"'s. And just to clarify, I go to the tracks. Not the streets, lately anyway. Then again, I keep thinking about the turbocharger.

And now, my cousin suggested an EMS. ..!!!!!!
I want to run low 13, 12's on the drag strip. Lower if I'm lucky. Let's just say my current time is reminiscent of Shaq's shoe size.

So the final point is do I go nitrous...EMS...turbo?
I'm not going cheap, the engine is the last place I want to skimp on. But affordable-ness (is that spelled right?) is a factor.

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
858 Posts
don`t do nitrous oxide, you will be rebuilding your car every year, if not more pending on how much you race

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I love the turbo/EMS. But, plan on spending 20K+ to build your motor and turbo it. At least I think it comes to about that with the 6cyl.

·
Strat190
361 Posts
don`t do nitrous oxide, you will be rebuilding your car every year, if not more pending on how much you race
What has been your experience with nitrous before?

·
Registered
858 Posts
mine personaly, a little, once my brother and I ran nitrous on his fully rebuilt durango to run at maple grove and after about 25-30 passes, we pulled the heads off and the block out because we started to lose compression, and here afters 6 full days of running in about 3 weeks time, the pistion rings where shot and the head seals where shot as well

and that was on a v8, with a 150 shot, on race fuel

·
V8 > 3G
2,716 Posts
Nitrous is the best bang for the buck by far for this platform. If you search around people run 75 shots safely for years. With a 75 shot I could see you easily breaking into the 13s with a sticky set of tires.

Put into consideration what Steadly said. I'm running stock internals on 7 psi and can scare most people who ride in the car but it does cost a lot of money. At a minimum plan on spending 7-10K for a low boost setup.

Honestly Captain Cupid since you've already invested money into parts that would be useless for a turbo setup you might as well just find a wet shot nitrous system and have some fun.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nitrous is the best bang for the buck by far for this platform. If you search around people run 75 shots safely for years. With a 75 shot I could see you easily breaking into the 13s with a sticky set of tires.

Put into consideration what Steadly said. I'm running stock internals on 7 psi and can scare most people who ride in the car but it does cost a lot of money. At a minimum plan on spending 7-10K for a low boost setup.

Honestly Captain Cupid since you've already invested money into parts that would be useless for a turbo setup you might as well just find a wet shot nitrous system and have some fun.
:yesway: just watch the shot amount and break your car in slowly, don`t just install it and go all out

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
I love the turbo/EMS. But, plan on spending 20K+ to build your motor and turbo it. At least I think it comes to about that with the 6cyl.
20K would be for a fully built long block, turbo, and tuned with a EMS. Everything professionally installed by a performance shop too.

·
tour 2 in Iraq
608 Posts
mine personaly, a little, once my brother and I ran nitrous on his fully rebuilt durango to run at maple grove and after about 25-30 passes, we pulled the heads off and the block out because we started to lose compression, and here afters 6 full days of running in about 3 weeks time, the pistion rings where shot and the head seals where shot as well

apparently you dont know how to tune nitrous. my best guess would be that you didnt have a large enough fuel jet and you ran lean.

As far as the origanal question. Nitrous is awesome put some forged pistons in there and run a 125 on that bisch. Along with the wet system dont forget to run colder spark plugs and please for the love of god do your research before you start sprayin. If you need any more assistance just shoot me a PM.

·
tour 2 in Iraq
608 Posts
Also since you plan on spendin some money i would invest in headers (good headers to, not crap ones), a better fuel system like a pump, injectors, and a FPR.

Some other items to add on to your nitrous sytem would be a WOT switch and a rpm window activation switch. Somethin that im interseted in getting is a NANO system. works a little better than a bottle heater in my opinion. Also do you have an automatic or manual??

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
What's your realistic budget? It takes A LOT of money to put a 3G into the 12s.
:agreed: You should first upgrade your drivetrain so that you can put all the power that you have to the ground. It is way different driving a car with street tires and driving a car with slicks. Work on your 60ft times because they are the key to get good ET's at the drag strip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TURBO

go turbo depending on what kinda condition ur motor is in u can run low boost thats what the kits for the v6 suggest u run anyway 2 b safe n down the road save up 2 get it built. turbo kits 4 our cars not the cali models is like 3 g lol (i made a pun 3g get it ?)anyway low psi is 5psi :ndance:

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts

The fuck you talking about? And who the hell sprays a 150 shot on a Durango? Want a bet it wasn't done right?

Nitrous won't do a damn thing to the rings unless you wash down the walls with fuel from a horrid tune which sounds like the root of your problem, not the spray itself. You will know when you fuck up your motor on nitrous, because you'll crack a piston when you run lean.

Oh and please tell me what a "head seal" is. I'm dying to know.

Nitrous is no less risky than FI. With either, if you cut corners and run a poor tune, you'll blow up the motor. Do it right, and the motor will run for years without missing a beat. I've only put about 20 bottles of spray through my car with no issues in 2+ years.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The fuck you talking about? And who the hell sprays a 150 shot on a Durango? Want a bet it wasn't done right?

Nitrous won't do a damn thing to the rings unless you wash down the walls with fuel from a horrid tune which sounds like the root of your problem, not the spray itself. You will know when you fuck up your motor on nitrous, because you'll crack a piston when you run lean.

Oh and please tell me what a "head seal" is. I'm dying to know.

Nitrous is no less risky than FI. With either, if you cut corners and run a poor tune, you'll blow up the motor. Do it right, and the motor will run for years without missing a beat. I've only put about 20 bottles of spray through my car with no issues in 2+ years.
this was not my project, it was my brothers, i just helped breaking the engine back down and that is what i found

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
this was not my project, it was my brothers, i just helped breaking the engine back down and that is what i found
So you know very little about nitrous and are telling this guy he's going to blow his motor based on some piss poor setup on your brother's SUV?

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
ha ha
seal, gasket, all the same to me
If he blew the head gasket, he was running too much timing, or did a shitty job with the torque sequence on the headbolts during his rebuild and lifted the heads.

So we have washed down rings and a supposed blown head gasket. Both the fault of the user, not the spray.

Too much fuel washed down the rings, and too much timing popped the head gasket. So again I mention that a shitty tune will wreck almost any motor, and doubly so with nitrous or FI.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,987 Posts
I've never been a fan of nitrous oxide as a method of FIing. Most users don't take the time to do the proper setup or tuning for NOx. Not to mention that you needs separate tunes for when the bottle is 'on' and when it is 'off' to have your car run efficiently. I'd rather have forced induction that is consistent all the time... and I do. :)

If you want to have a track beast then there shouldn't be a reason why you can get the turbo system now and add the nitrous oxide later for track use.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts