Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
EclipseTuner
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does nitrous seem to be not very popular with you guys? I personally love my zex kit. Just seems to me most over look it. Yes filling the bottle up kinda sucks but unless your using it everyday or got a big shot its not too bad. Can't be cause our cars don't like it cause mine loves it!

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Why does nitrous seem to be not very popular with you guys? I personally love my zex kit. Just seems to me most over look it. Yes filling the bottle up kinda sucks but unless your using it everyday or got a big shot its not too bad. Can't be cause our cars don't like it cause mine loves it!
For me Nitrous is the poor mans way of having forced induction ESPECIALLY in a stock 3G. It's a cheap way out of trying to make this car hang with the big boys in the import world. On a 3G it's fools gold. I'm about making power the ol' fashion way: building a motor and adding a turbo. Besides you said yourself you really can't go with big shots of nitrous on our motors and do it daily anyway so what's the gain really? I want to be able to achieve power anytime and as often as I feel like it, with no "break in the action". I'd have no problem adding nitrous after I have a built turboboosted motor that can handle it but by no means would it be my primary source of forced induction. Oh and not to mention the legality of having nitrous in your vehicle. Just my opinion though :D.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,061 Posts
if my car was a strictly track car I would do a nitrous set up. Since i drive my car daily i would like to have that power whenever i want and not have to worry about if my bottle low or not

·
EclipseTuner
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I get what you guys are saying. I mean who doesn't love boost. But why not just buy a car that comes boosted. It so expensive to get these cars descent fast. I mean even boosted the car will never be as fast as the big boys. Yes it will be way faster than the piggy stock but that's strain on your engine always. Nitrous is only a load on the engine when you need it. Not to mention I don't have traction issues like boost. I simply spray when I get out the hole and I'm gone. All the power tou get from boost is pointless in our fwd if you can't hook it. And you can't ride around with slicks. It does suck nitrous is illegal but that's why you hide it. anybody ever done or heard of direct port on our cars? That would be sweet.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,061 Posts
Yea I get what you guys are saying. I mean who doesn't love boost. But why not just buy a car that comes boosted. It so expensive to get these cars descent fast. I mean even boosted the car will never be as fast as the big boys. Yes it will be way faster than the piggy stock but that's strain on your engine always. Nitrous is only a load on the engine when you need it. Not to mention I don't have traction issues like boost. I simply spray when I get out the hole and I'm gone. All the power tou get from boost is pointless in our fwd if you can't hook it. And you can't ride around with slicks. It does suck nitrous is illegal but that's why you hide it. anybody ever done or heard of direct port on our cars? That would be sweet.
Ive never had a traction issue but then again i dont drag race any more cause its boring going into a straight line. I guess it boils down to preference, goals, and etc. Of course you could buy a boosted car but that takes all the fun out of it. I prefer a challenge and something different from what everybody else drives.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,061 Posts
correction:lmfao:

:lmfao: I'd love it. No, OUR evo would be the "grocery getter" and the eclipse would be the "speed racer" of the family. lol. :lol:
anyways back on topic

OP all the types of FI is all about preference and goals for individuals. I do wish more people would do more nitrous set ups for 3.5 or 3.8 swaps cause it would shine greatly for that.

·
I am who I hate
472 Posts
its not so much that having the nitrous system in your car is illegal, its that if you should be pulled over for whatever, police sees the bottle, its transporting an explosive substance without proper license.

other than that i have run nitrous before and will be doing it again, as soon as it heats up enough that i feel like working on the car. no FI system is perfect, each person just wieghs the pro's and con's and chooses the setup they feel is the better choice.

·
EclipseTuner
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol wow not even for an evo? yeah i love my 3g too. very true about no fi is perfect. im thinking bout doing a 3.5 swap and yeah i would like to see how the 3.5 holds nitrous. im not saying id never boost mine but its not in my budget right now.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts

I :wub:LOVE:wub: boost and that fact is quite evident on this forum. I was boosted before I joined this forum (RIPP SDS Stages 1 and 2) and since I decided to turboboost my current 3G I went out and bought 2 cars that come boosted ('98 GSX and an EVO IX GSR SSL). It is expensive to get these cars as you say "descent fast" and that's why it's not for everybody and everybody shouldn't even be attempting it. But you're wrong when you say even boosted the car will never be as fast as the big boys. You MUST not know about my build :lol:. Traction issues? Eh, it COULD pose a problem for some on a FWD car, that depends on your power output, but I'm going AWD ;). Again, you MUST not know about my build :lol:. No worries about hooking, traction or need for slicks. I got it all covered. And who wants to be hiding stuff all the time anyway? Not me. That's why I say nitrous is the poor mans way of having forced induction. If you want real power on a 3G you need to have 2 main things, money and the know how. If you don't have those then the occasional 50-75 hp shot is your best bet.

I do wish more people would do more nitrous set ups for 3.5 or 3.8 swaps cause it would shine greatly for that.
You very well may see just that.

its not so much that having the nitrous system in your car is illegal, its that if you should be pulled over for whatever, police sees the bottle, its transporting an explosive substance without proper license.
So what you're saying is it's not breaking the law until you get caught :lol:. I like that.

·
EclipseTuner
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I LOVE boost and that fact is quite evident on this forum. I was boosted before I joined this forum (RIPP SDS Stages 1 and 2) and since I decided to turboboost my current 3G I went out and bought 2 cars that come boosted ('98 GSX and an EVO IX GSR SSL). It is expensive to get these cars as you say "descent fast" and that's why it's not for everybody and everybody shouldn't even be attempting it. But you're wrong when you say even boosted the car will never be as fast as the big boys. You MUST not know about my build . Traction issues? Eh, it COULD pose a problem for some on a FWD car, that depends on your power output, but I'm going AWD . Again, you MUST not know about my build . No worries about hooking, traction or need for slicks. I got it all covered. And who wants to be hiding stuff all the time anyway? Not me. That's why I say nitrous is the poor mans way of having forced induction. If you want real power on a 3G you need to have 2 main things, money and the know how. If you don't have those then the occasional 50-75 hp shot is your best bet."

lol what big boys you talking bout? to me a drag car is a big boy. you know low 6s and 5s. no way a 3g hits that. atleast not with the engines that comes in a 3g. so only if like you said invest a fortune in it then i dont see it happening. if im wrong and one has.......then damn! whats the fastest 3g you seen? dont get me wrong im not talking junk to you just expressing my views. and i dont mean what someone claims to run. like has a video to prove it, timeslips mean nothing. i can get a time slip from a drag car and say it was me lol. BTW of your cars which is your favorite?

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
"I LOVE boost and that fact is quite evident on this forum. I was boosted before I joined this forum (RIPP SDS Stages 1 and 2) and since I decided to turboboost my current 3G I went out and bought 2 cars that come boosted ('98 GSX and an EVO IX GSR SSL). It is expensive to get these cars as you say "descent fast" and that's why it's not for everybody and everybody shouldn't even be attempting it. But you're wrong when you say even boosted the car will never be as fast as the big boys. You MUST not know about my build . Traction issues? Eh, it COULD pose a problem for some on a FWD car, that depends on your power output, but I'm going AWD . Again, you MUST not know about my build . No worries about hooking, traction or need for slicks. I got it all covered. And who wants to be hiding stuff all the time anyway? Not me. That's why I say nitrous is the poor mans way of having forced induction. If you want real power on a 3G you need to have 2 main things, money and the know how. If you don't have those then the occasional 50-75 hp shot is your best bet."

lol what big boys you talking bout? to me a drag car is a big boy. you know low 6s and 5s. no way a 3g hits that. atleast not with the engines that comes in a 3g. so only if like you said invest a fortune in it then i dont see it happening. if im wrong and one has.......then damn! whats the fastest 3g you seen? dont get me wrong im not talking junk to you just expressing my views. and i dont mean what someone claims to run. like has a video to prove it, timeslips mean nothing. i can get a time slip from a drag car and say it was me lol. BTW of your cars which is your favorite?
The big boys I'm talking about are like I said earlier, the big boys in the import world. For ex: Evo, DSM, 240, Silvia, GT-R, Z, RX-7, WRX, STI, Supra just to name a few. Let's not be ignorant and keep this in proper context and perspective, and I say that not as a personal attack or to insult you. The 3G isn't an import in the true sense of the word in the U.S. but we all know it's not considered a domestic in the U.S. car scene and in the global view it's a Japanese car. The 3G is a street car not a drag car. No one on this forum is building their 3G to compete with drag cars, no one on this forum will have their 3G run low 6's and 5's, no one on this forum will ever have their 3G in a drag car magazine. The few people (myself included) who are doing big builds on here with their 3G will still have the ability to drive their 3G on the street. You're not driving a true drag car on the street. The serious members who are doing builds are shooting for times of 11's, 10's and 9's. That is the street car crown achievement and holy grail. For you to compare drag car times to street car times is irrelevant. That's an entire different class of vehicle. This is Club3G. So again, let's not be ignorant and keep this in proper context and perspective.

To your question of what's the fastest 3G I've seen, I can't recall. That's because I'm not into the track scene. However I'm slowly getting into it now. I've always loved to see cars on a dynamometer. However once my 3G is finished I'll have my friend/builder hit the track with the car just to see what 1/4 mile times the car can achieve. Track times seem to be obsession on this forum so mainly to satisfy that crowd I'll do it. I'm sure people would want to know what a fully loaded 750awhp V6 5 speed can do and I'll admit I'm a bit curious myself.

Which car is my favorite? Well my 3G isn't finished, the motor has been built and already broken in. The front subframe has to completed then the turbo related parts will be installed and it'll be ready for the street. I've always loved my 3G Spyder but haven't driven it in months. I have grown quite attached to the GSX though. For some reason I prefer the look of my 2G GSX over my Evo IX. I'm in my 30's so I guess I'm biased towards cars from my youth. I decided to build my GSX over the Evo because it was older and needed a makeover. That's not to say I have no love for my Evo. That's been my only means of transportation right now and the past 2 months and it proved to be as advertised by getting me through this blizzard the East Coast has just experienced.

·
EclipseTuner
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
750awhp 3g isnt a drag car? lol anyway man nice sparring with you. have you ever seen a 3g with direct port? i may do this one day in the future. id really like to use the cold fusion kit that clips in with the injectors. i believe its cold fusion anyway.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,061 Posts
750awhp 3g isnt a drag car? lol anyway man nice sparring with you. have you ever seen a 3g with direct port? i may do this one day in the future. id really like to use the cold fusion kit that clips in with the injectors. i believe its cold fusion anyway.
what do you consider a drag car. In my eyes a drag car is a fully gutted caged with a fiber glass body. HP shouldn't be a factor in it

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Heck no my 750awhp 3G isn't a drag car :lol:. I have a Spyder and there won't be a roll cage going in there I can assure you. You could open any import car magazine and see various cars that make similar power whose primary use is for street driving. They still have all the functions of a street car such as seats, carpet, stereo system, power steering and even air conditioning, some add a roll cage for occasional drag strip use. I've never seen a 3G with a direct port and I can't recall anyone on this forum that uses nitrous at the strip.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.