Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 2002 Eclipse Gt,
we had to replace the instrument gauge cluster, and the clock pod is broken.
We also had to remove the gas tank to clean it because it was vandalized and get a new battery.

My question is why it wont crank. We have power to everything, but we when go to try and start it nothing happens but a clicking noise it the top left part of the engine bay. Anyone know how to fix this?
Could it be the starter? my parents keep saying its the security.
i searched the thread and found nothing.

please help. thank you.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
If you turn the key and get a clicking then it is your starter. Its not getting enough juice to actually turn the motor, the clicking it the solenoid bouncing the gear off the flywheel or torque converter. Either the battery you bought didn't come charged, or you left it on the ground or somehow discharged it, or one of your grounds or electrical connections is not on all the way. One way or another, it needs more power to crank it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i turn the key to crank nothing happens, but when i let go and leave it to the on position my car makes a two click noise and the security light comes on blinking. may not be the starter?

·
NEXT....
1,031 Posts
Check your Battery terminals and connections. This could also be a ground issue. I know you said you have power to everything but I recently had a similar issue and it was the Ground to the battery. The terminal was clean but the connection was corroded. When I put the key in and turned it I heard a click but nothing happened. slapped another ground cable connection on and I fired right up. The click threw me off as well. Wha was happening is the connection was so bad that it turned the dash lights on but under a load my power dropped from 12.3 to 3.1 when I turned the key. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no luck still. grounds good, i have three eclipses an 02 03 and this 02. were taking parts off of the others to see if it could be something random. any suggestions?

·
Baby on board
657 Posts
Check your Battery terminals and connections. This could also be a ground issue. I know you said you have power to everything but I recently had a similar issue and it was the Ground to the battery. The terminal was clean but the connection was corroded. When I put the key in and turned it I heard a click but nothing happened. slapped another ground cable connection on and I fired right up. The click threw me off as well. Wha was happening is the connection was so bad that it turned the dash lights on but under a load my power dropped from 12.3 to 3.1 when I turned the key. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Had the same issue with mine and this was the answer. The negative cable grounds a few times around the engine bay. I would just take it out and run a new one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
same thing happend to me i heard clicking but it wouldent start my answer was the starter and it sounds like yours is the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts