Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2001 eclipse GT (Automatic trans) knowing it at the time didn’t run, I was aware it was the starter so I replaced it and sure enough she started running about 3-4 days ago now. Occasionally I would attempt to start the car and it wouldn’t crank, I tried shifting it through the gears and putting it back into park and that’s been working, but the more I had to do that the more commonly it wouldn’t start, sometimes taking multiple attempts at that method to finally start. This morning I drive around store to store turning my car on and off not having issues other than one time and it worked the second try. When I got home and later attempted to start the car I couldn’t get it to crank no matter what. Any ideas?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd start with your Park/Neutral position switch on the transmission. It only allows you to engage the starter when you're in Park or Neutral, and something isn't working right so you car thinks it's not safe to power the starter. You can check the switch itself to make sure it's working properly. Also the alignment of the selector cable with the switch. Go to tearstone.com and check out the free factory service manual section 23A, page 340. Both procedures are there.

As a short term workaround, you can try holding the key forward in the start position, and simultaneously jiggle the gear selector with the other hand. Sometimes you get the sweet spot where the switch allows the starter to turn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd start with your Park/Neutral position switch on the transmission. It only allows you to engage the starter when you're in Park or Neutral, and something isn't working right so you car thinks it's not safe to power the starter. You can check the switch itself to make sure it's working properly. Also the alignment of the selector cable with the switch. Go to tearstone.com and check out the free factory service manual section 23A, page 340. Both procedures are there.

As a short term workaround, you can try holding the key forward in the start position, and simultaneously jiggle the gear selector with the other hand. Sometimes you get the sweet spot where the switch allows the starter to turn.
I did find the sweet spot actually , kind of 3/4 into park between park and reverse just before the shifter actually locks into place in park

1 - 3 of 3 Posts