Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '00 GT that I bought for a cheap price because I was in a bind. I'm new so I doubt anyone here has seen my thread in the members rides but anyway. The guy had an aftermarket alarm system installed which, well doesn't work. I knew it didn't work when I bought the car, and I don't really care about that. I have no key FOB, and noticed that the power locks do not work at all. That is, until I connect the alarm...There is a case that connects into the alarm which I assume runs the power, and connects it to the windows, locks, etc. so it can function. If I plug the alarm in, the power locks work, but the alarm won't go off for any reason. The other thing I notice is that wires from the fuse box were cut...I assume re-wired for the alarm. And the other downfall is that if I leave the alarm connected, it makes a clicking noise, and a light turns on and off. I figured this was normal, but the clicking never stops. I'm absolutely bewildered by what this all means...If anyone wants pictures I can provide them. I don't really care about the alarm, but I would like my power locks to work. Maybe I should just remove the alarm system all together? Advice please...:)

also I can't engage or deactivate the alarm when it's plugged in (not that it goes off anyway...)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually my alarm is doing the similar things, except it works most of the time but it does do the lights and clicking thing. Sometimes i just mess with the wires down there and it'll fix it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take pics tomorrow and upload them, should I have everything connected I guess the way it "should" be? Or the way I have it set up now with it disconnected?

Sometimes i just mess with the wires down there and it'll fix it.
Mess with the wires how? Just kind of move them hoping it's a lose connection or something?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay these are the pictures I took today.

This is the whole alarm wired up and everything the way it seems it should be.
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1801.jpg

Wire connections on the top of the alarm
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1803.jpg

diagram on the back that says what the wires are for.
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1804.jpg

This is how I drive with the alarm...I disconnect that set of wires and it seems to turn off the beeping, but without that connected the power locks do not work.
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1805.jpg

This is the switch that seems it should activate and deactivate the alarm (but when pushing the switch nothing changes). And as you can see wires are cut from the fuse box...There are more wires that are cut, I assume that he did this for the alarm. There are three (I think just three) in-line fuses running underneath and I'm not quite sure what they are use for...
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1806.jpg

These switches are on the bottom of the front side of the alarm...I have no idea what these do, I don't have a manual or any information about the alarm and this is the way it was set-up originally.
link: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/andrewwilliamlukosev/Eclipse/DSCN1802.jpg

I reconnected the alarm today to take the pictures and noticed that now when it's connected the power locks work on the driver's side door, but not the passenger side door...I'm thinking it's a fuse, I'll have to check it out. So do these pictures help at all?

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
If it were me, I'd yank all that aftermarket stuff off the car, re-bridge the cut factory wires and call it a day. I had to do that with some aftermarket garbage the dealership installed on my Nissans. It was a so-called "upgraded" ignition disabler (they wanted $500 for $25 worth of garbage.) I told them NO WAY. They pulled the plug but left all the junk in there. I spent an afternoon getting everything back to factory on my Rogue and Z. It kind of pissed me off that they'd splice into the system like that. It was an easy job to remove everything and solder the OEM system back to normal, but it was time-consuming. Be sure to use the proper gauge wire, shrink tubing and solder.

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
If it were me, I'd yank all that aftermarket stuff off the car, re-bridge the cut factory wires and call it a day. I had to do that with some aftermarket garbage the dealership installed on my Nissans. It was a so-called "upgraded" ignition disabler (they wanted $500 for $25 worth of garbage.) I told them NO WAY. They pulled the plug but left all the junk in there. I spent an afternoon getting everything back to factory on my Rogue and Z. It kind of pissed me off that they'd splice into the system like that. It was an easy job to remove everything and solder the OEM system back to normal, but it was time-consuming. Be sure to use the proper gauge wire, shrink tubing and solder.
thats a good idea. And from there you can have a good audio shop put in a good alarm system

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking...I don't really care all too much for the alarm system, I just want things to go back to how they should be. My problem with that is I don't have a diagram for how everything should be....I have a soldering gun, shrink tubing, solder, etc. I have the skills to do it, but I don't really have any idea where the wires are supposed to go...He left all kinds of crazy shit in there...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 19:mecry2: lol And thanks, I will attempt this and report later.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
That little switch is a "valet" or programming switch, the dip switches on the unit are to program different functions on the controller (black box). I don't have access to a manual, and it's been too long since I've done that brand, so I don't recall what each one does.

It would absolutely be best to completely remove the system, and restore the wiring back to original ad much as possible.

One place to look for interference with the lock system by this unit is up near the ETACS (left of steering column). Look for cuts it splices related to the aftermarket alarm in the following wires:

Light green/black, Orange
Note: may also be in the driver's side kick panel

Repair/reconnect as required.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan on removing it, thanks for all of the advice!! That was very helpful, sadly I won't have time to try this before I leave for bootcamp but I will do it when I get back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.