Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I had another thread but that's in the new members forum and not getting any responses. Well I replaced my fuel pump and it doesn't pump any fuel or prime or anything but oddly, the gas gauge still reads there's fuel and everything. I've moved the bobber around the verify. I hooked the pump up to the battery and it works. I'm completely stumped. All of my fuses are good. Dont know how to test the relays but I put all of them in the horn slot and they worked so i guess that's good. But I'm crazy confused. Car starts on ether so it has spark. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. When I lock it with the fob the little security light on the dash comes on and then goes off when I unlock it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I have no idea how to test that. I have a multimeter but I'm completely lost on how to use it. Oh I should mention the car is an 03 gts 5spd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has the older two pin connector on the service manual. Also, does 03-up not have a fuel pump relay? Because all the pictures I've seen of the fuel pump relay show it being grouped up with two other big ones in the engine bay and I don't have a box like that at all in mine.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,048 Posts
03 does have fuel pump relay. Its in a different spot. Are you looking at the correct service manual online

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked at the 03-05 on tearstone and I have a chilton manual but that thing is useless. Where is it at?

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,048 Posts
read the component location pdf file. It tells the location exactly

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
There are in fact two fuel pump relays on the 03 GT(S) they are located inside the drivers side panel fuse box. On the bottom row there several small rectangular thing; these are relays. iirc, the second from the front is from the security (anti-theft disable), and the thrid one is the "main" relay. The anti-theft relay allows the main one to power up. They BOTH must activate in order for the fuel pump to come on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow I feel stupid. Didnt even see the other compartment. But both relays are good in there.
So verified all fuses and relays are good. Both old pump and new work with direct 12v connection. Gonna keep the new one in there since I already have it back together. What's the next step on this? The connector doesn't look burnt like other threads I've seen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Will the crank sensor cause the pump not to work? I scanned the car with my code reader even though the cel wasn't on and it had the crank sensor code.
Nvm. I inspected the wires on my crank sensor and they were frayed in two places. Soldered back together and taped up. The code went away but the pump still has no power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I can't find how to test for that. I found out how to actually use my multimeter but other then that I have no idea how to test power or ground. I'm curious as to why the gauge sensor would work but not the pump.
The fuel pump relays click when I turn the key to the ON position. Is that a good indicator my problem lies somewhere between there and the connector?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tapped into the fuel gauge power and ground. Car runs and drives now. Started up instantly. Idle was jumpy and it has a nasty tick but at least she's running now.

·
54,462 Posts
Amazon.com: Equus 3420 Smart Test Light/Circuit Tester: Automotive

Screw it, buy one of these. it's got idiot lights to tell you if a wire has power or ground at it.

You use a DVOM to check for power at a wire by touching the + lead to unknown power and the - lead to known good ground. Logic would dictate that you'd do the opposite to test for ground. Seriously, you need to learn about how a circuit works before you do something stupid and fry a computer in that car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts