Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf's car (2000 GT auto 120k) died on her at a gas station last night. Would not restart. Checked for spark (it did have spark), battery (still good) and now I am at a loss. I wanted to check the fuel pressure (to see if the pump was working) but I found out you can't. Is there a way I can check the fuel pump in the car (pos to the relay maybe)? Also, what else should I be checking? Crank sensor, cam sensor, MAF?

·
Registered
280 Posts
we need some more info.....does it crank at all? did she get any kind of crappy gas? i have an 01 eclipse gs, and im a mechanic at lexus of annapolis.....i will be happy to help. just pm me:yesway:

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this is what we have done so far:

replaced fuel pump (we are getting fuel at the rail)
checked timing
checked for codes (none)
checked compression 150psi in all 6
checked spark

STILL NOT TURING OVER!!!

Im at a loss. The mechanic doesn't know what is going on either. What else can it be??

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was thinking that if the alt was bad, it wouldn't charge the battery, hence the bad battery and no starting. Plus, might as well check both

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Battery is fine, but why would the alt keep it from starting?
It wouldn't. If the battery is dead you may want to have the alt checked but for the short term I wouldn't mess with it. Definately check the battery (maybe you have good voltage but not enough juice/power/amps to turn the engine over). I'd test the cam and crank sensors if possible and if nothing is found there I would check the gas to see if it is contaminated.

:dunno:
Seems odd. You have spark, fuel, and compression.... hmmmm. What else is needed?? I wonder why there is no SES code :scratch: That makes me think bad gas but I am no mechanic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a bad battery awhile back. According to my voltage reader, I was getting a good positive 13+ volts. The car would not turn over.

Took the battery in to Autozone (Advanced Auto, I dunno). Under a load, i.e., when starting, it would drop to 2-3 volts, then climb back up to the 12+ volts. New battery, car started just fine.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have a jumpbox that I was using on it and that still didn't work :( I will try to get a new battery and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier. I did have a charger/starter hooked up. Even had the battery charged overnight.

Before buying a new battery, have it tested first. Might just be a bad cell. I learned a little that day, not know that a bad cell would let it keep a 12+ volt charger, but under a load, would drop it to a 2-3 range, then let it climb back up to a 12. Bought a new battery, took it home, hooked it up, and the car started just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts