Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched the following 2 issues in the garage, got the mitsu manual and know the procedures to fix them. That said I still have questions:

1. I was told by someone not to use a clamp to compress calipers when changing brake pads cause it will damage ABS system - is this true?

2. After CEL came on I get one code - P0140 - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Heater Circuit Failure - Should I get tool 998464 and test it first or just buy the sensor and replace it? Also, will I have to delete the error code or will the CEL go out by itself when I replace the sensor?

Thanks

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
1. To compress my calipers I just used a big adjustable pliers, works just fine for me and no ABS problems.

2. I'd just replace the sensor and call it good, check the wires first though and make sure they aren't frayed or anything anywhere. After replacing/fixing, unplug the negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes, no more CEL.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
First welcome.

Second, read the rules, which include telling us the details of your car.

Third, are you sure you even have an ABS system?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Take ur old brake pad and put it up against the caliper piston and push it in. The reasoning of doing that is so u dont damage the piston.
Second off if u have a heater circuit failure in one of ur 02's just get a 7/8's wrench and replace ur 02 sensor. Not alot of money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my effort to keep things simple and concise I forgot to put car details in post. I dont see how that would make any diff on my questions but just in case here is more info.

Details of car: 2000 Eclipse GT - 5-spd man. V6 with Cali emissions, Premium pkg, 53k miles, 100% stock - am only owner and it has never had any repairs done on it since new.

I know it has ABS because the window sticker from when I bought it new says it does and it has ABS light on dash plus it acts like ABS when I jam the brake pedal.

I am also sure it has Cali emissions cause the sticker also stated it did and my state required all new cars have it at the time I bought it new back in 2000. Guess I will know for 100% certain about this when I actually get under the car.

I went to Advance auto and used their reader to get the P0141 code. It was the only code to show up. Service Engine Light has been on a couple months now. (been broke, what can I say...) Car seems to be getting poor gas mileage. Runs great, idles smooth, accelerates good, no other symptoms. Need to fix it so I can go thru state emissions test to renew my reg.

I got the Mitsu Eclipse Manual on CD and read info online in Garage and was all set to do my Eclipse's first ever brake pad change (yes) and the O2 sensor when Joe Mechanic friend of mine put doubt in my head so is why I ask advice on forum before continuing cause I dont want to waste money or damage my very good condition car.

Hope additional details help. Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that the O2 sensor wire is one piece until the plastic connector where it is attached to the intake at the top of the motor. The plastic connector is too big to fit through the box wrench. It does not look like the wire unplugs from the sensor.

Is there a way to remove the 4 wires from the plastic plug or do I need to cut them?

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
I see that the O2 sensor wire is one piece until the plastic connector where it is attached to the intake at the top of the motor. The plastic connector is too big to fit through the box wrench. It does not look like the wire unplugs from the sensor.

Is there a way to remove the 4 wires from the plastic plug or do I need to cut them?
You need to cut the wires and attach the new ones, unless for some reason your sensor came with wires all the way up to a new connector.

Also, to get the sensor off/on, the socket Bitter posted will help greatly. A crows foot will work as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.