Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last wednesday when the temps got to be sub zero with snow here in wisconsin, i was leaving my girlfriends house and as i was leaving i heard a lot cracking/breaking noise. I figured it was just ice, or snow built up in the wheel wells. However, i have since found out that is not the answer. Whenever i make a sharp right or left hand turn, it makes a kind of grinding/clunking noise. I checked tie rods, and other stuff nothing seems to be loose or broke. I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with info.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
If it is a grinding noise, it could be your wheel bearings.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
RS,GS,GT? I'd look at the side motor mounts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a GS, and its kind of a grinding noise. I have noticed that today with it raining out its not as bad as when its dry or cold.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Well if its a definate grinding then I'm with crpearce... check the wheel bearings (and still take a look at the mounts as that is easy peezy).

·
Lurker
825 Posts
If its a cracking/breaking noise you might even consider your tires.. I had a flat replaced a couple of weeks ago by Discount Tire company. I went on a road trip for a weekend of snowboarding and noticed my car would shake after 55 miles per hour. There was also a clanking/cracking noise whenever I went over a bump or made a turn. You can hear it from the back. I took it back to the tire shop, got all four tires rebalanced only to find out the one they just replaced was completely out of balance. You may consider going this route.. it is a little far fetched, but could solve your problem.

·
Registered
617 Posts
have you done any break work lately??? is it possible that you hear that grinding noise when you are turning because the caliper is to tight and when you are cornering you are applying pressure that is causing the grinding noise???? may not be the right idea but a possibility. Or are your pads worn down they may not be making noise when you are in a straight line but hard cornering while breaking may cause some of the reason foe the noise.....but we live in climates that are cold as shit so it could just be frozen parts to hope you get this resolved let us know what is was when you get it figured out

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just read through my post misspelled break??? brake ha ha ha maybe I should get more sleep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts