Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody,

i have this strange problem i spotted on my '03 eclipse. before going to details: i searched this forum for similar posts, but seems that i didn't found exactly why this is happening to my car, looks like it's not the common problems like evaporator's drain ac leak etc.

so i found that the driver's side (left) carpet is wet on the back (yes, not the whole carpet, but mostly the back where the passenger should put his legs and more to the left side near the door). i'm not really sure what is it and where the water comes from. there is no sunroof. seems there is no leak from any of the sides (the sides are dry, the bottom floor carpet is wet). also looks like there is no leaks from above like window or anything else - the rubber floor mat on the top is dry, only when you lift the floor mat you can see it's wet on the other side and the car carpet is wet. like i already wrote it's getting wet more on the left side of the carpet, not the whole left side carpet, but the left side carpets left side. the carpet under the drivers legs (pedals) is dry. oh yes, and it got wet when the car was not running, which means it stayed on one place, i wasn't driving it for the 5 days and all these 5 days it was raining, so in these 5 days of car staying at one place somehow a water leaked, so i'm really confused about this and where can it come from. so... any suggestions? i didn't had a chance and time yet to thoroughly check everything, lift the carpet and so on, so before that i would like to hear some of your opinions, suggestions what could it be, what to check etc. thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
After reading your post I thought maybe you had a rust spot under your car that was picking up water as you drive--- but you say it got wet when it was sitting still . Water can travel in mysterious ways. I would suggest you remove the driver seat and sill plate. Pull the carpet back and have a friend run a water hose over that closed door of the car with you watching inside to see if any water is getting in. Possibly you have a bad door seal that is invisible to the eye . I get a small drip at the top of my passenger door that drips down onto the tweeter speaker but the seal is in great condition ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading your post I thought maybe you had a rust spot under your car that was picking up water as you drive--- but you say it got wet when it was sitting still . Water can travel in mysterious ways. I would suggest you remove the driver seat and sill plate. Pull the carpet back and have a friend run a water hose over that closed door of the car with you watching inside to see if any water is getting in. Possibly you have a bad door seal that is invisible to the eye . I get a small drip at the top of my passenger door that drips down onto the tweeter speaker but the seal is in great condition ...
Thanks for the tip Widgmaster! i tried to do the trick with the water hose running (but minus removal of the driver seat and still plate - didn't had the time to do this yet) and at first sight everything looks ok and i don't see any water leaking, but that's probably because it's leaking somewhere out of sight, maybe under those plastic panels or somewhere else, maybe somewhere near the small rear side window behind the driver seat, i don't even know what to think of. What bugs me is that like i wrote already - the sides near the wet place are dry, so somehow the water goes directly to the bottom and my guess is if it would be a bad door seal, then the upper side of the car carpet near the wet place would be also wet, because the water would leak from the side going to the bottom, but it's only the bottom that gets wet. But who knows, like you already wrote: water can travel in mysterious ways...!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
I guess this boils down to finding the time to inspect what is going on with your leak. We could chat for hour and accomplish nothing . It does seem very strange that the water is underneath the carpet but the top side is dry. This leads me to believe it may be leaking through a body panel .. With out pulling the seat and sill plate and pulling that carpet back you will never find where its coming from.. I seen one time where a leak was coming in through the cowl and running down the firewall and under the passenger front seat....? Best of luck ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
so the little hose that is suppose to drain your AC condensation is clogged and is draining back into the car. I had the same issue so I took a long cable and ran it through that small hose coming out of the fire wall (only about a inch long) to break up any debree and it fixed the problem

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the event you haven't solved your issue, the drains in the door jambs get clogged and water will backup and flow under the door just beneath the speaker. I had that issue a while back when I drove on dirt roads a lot. A bit of wire like one of those flags used to mark dig sites/pipes/etc works great along with an air compressor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts