Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say this is my first 3G Eclipse. It is a 2004 GTS, and since I brought it home it has been great. I had previously owned a 1997 Spyder GS with the 4G64 that we turbocharged. Needless to say, I wrecked it two weeks ago. I needed a nice car and I figured I might as well stick with the Mitsubishi Eclipse, since I loved my last one.

Onto the 3G...it is awesome; nice interior, decent exterior...the V6 doesn't have power like the 2G 4G64T, but it's pretty peppy compared to what most of the 2G people say. I just have one small problem with it...I noticed that I can start the car, idles perfect, nothin wrong. When I open the hood, its fine...until I close it...then it dies every time. I shut it very gently and it hesitates a bit and will sometimes stay idling. But for the most part, it usually just stalls out. I get into the car, it fires right up all the time.

I did a search everywhere and nothin quite matches anything like it, even on the internet. My first thought was maybe the hood was hitting one of the battery cables, but the ends that are exposed are covered...so idk. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
223 Posts
My first guess would've been the battery posts... check that the connections are tight and see if you need to clean any corrosion off. You've got to be hitting or giggling something.

·
54,424 Posts
has the stock intake? make sure the little plastic hold-downs are there. the sudden woosh of air from closing the hood can screw with the MAF sensor if the plastic hold-downs are missing. hell, really strong sounds can screw with the MAF on the 3G. its a Karmen vortex type sensor which uses little swirls of air to sensor the amount of air (in a nutshell), so sudden changes in pressure will disrupt the little swirls and can make it stall.

another symptom of the missing intake hold-downs is a sudden power loss at high rpm due to the intake scoop getting sucked to the underside of the hood and blocking airflow.

also, just check that everything is firmly plugged in and the terminals in the connectors are clean also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
check where all your ground wires are....one could be loose and as soon as u slam your hood, it vibrates it enough to lose ground, which would cause your engine to stall. also make sure your terminals on your battery are tight.

good luck

rob

·
Registered
280 Posts
im tellin you guys to check your grounds.....im almost positive thats wat it is. im a lexus mechanic and i had that same problem on a gs300, i didnt think about it at first but thats wat it ended being.

goodluck

rob

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I will recheck everything on Tuesday, we are going to get snow tomorrow. I did notice today that there was some oil on the ground wire that attaches to the engine. I will clean that up, but I still dont think it is that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts