Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SES light came on. its P0141; O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. I'm hoping someone here can help me locate it and how to get to it to replace it. I have a 2001 V6 fed spec. I saw conflicting locations on other threads when i searched it.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You have a fed spec?? I doubt that. If it was fed-spec then you would only have 2 O2 sensors, right? I would think you would need atleast one O2 sensor per bank which is why I don't think you have a fed-spec (then again I have only ever dealt with cali spec so I could be wrong about that).

Well, "sensor 2" (post cat) is after the cat converter. Sensor 1 (pre cat) would be in front of the cat converters and is most likely screwed into the exhaust manifold (near the engine block).

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Its been awhile since I had exhaust manifolds (I have headers) but if I recall correctly you just need a 5/8" or 17mm O2 sensor socket (I forget which). You may need other tools to remove heatshields and such. Check out the exhaust section in the online FSM and you should be able to see everything that will be required.

Oh, a can of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench would probably help with the removal of the sensor.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
...if I recall correctly you just need a 5/8"
This info was incorrect. The O2 sensor socket size should be 7/8". I just confirmed that with one of my O2s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help. one more question. i looked up the part, i'm guessing that it's the "Downstream" one, but just want to make sure before i spend the money.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
thanks for the help. one more question. i looked up the part, i'm guessing that it's the "Downstream" one, but just want to make sure before i spend the money.
I think you are correct. For clarification:

Sensor1 = precat sensor = primary sensor = upstream sensor

Sensor2 = postcat sensor = secondary sensor = downstream sensor

Different names but they all mean the same thing. :yesway: I believe the downstream sensors are typically a few bucks cheaper than the upstream/primary sensors.

·
Registered
737 Posts
All I know is I recently needed one replaced. I went to my local oil change place and they changed it, and the light came back on. They changed it again and it came back on again. Finally I went to a different place and they checked all four sensors and found the one that had too much resistance -- and changed that, and it's been fine. Basically I had to pay twice for getting the job done. Still, that was better than getting a new cat like some people had suggested to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts