Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I'm Working On It...
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have been a member on here for a few years but haven't posted in A LONG TIME due to selling my car about 2 years ago.

When I was a new member we were all eagerly watching two other member's progress on the evo head/turbo swaps and now I see that the idea has spread to a surprising number of 3G owners who are all doing great work!!

EVERYONE who has started progress towards this swap or completed one, post pics of your finished/in progress engine bays!!!

I can't wait to see all the "EVO Coupes"

I would be remiss if I didn't give thanks to some peeps for their help when I was attempting my swap:

Napalm
Balla
GS KNIGHT
Flashblue RS
And all others I may have not mentioned.

POST PICS!!

·
EVO Powered
605 Posts
Hey everyone! I have been a member on here for a few years but haven't posted in A LONG TIME due to selling my car about 2 years ago.

When I was a new member we were all eagerly watching two other member's progress on the evo head/turbo swaps and now I see that the idea has spread to a surprising number of 3G owners who are all doing great work!!

EVERYONE who has started progress towards this swap or completed one, post pics of your finished/in progress engine bays!!!

I can't wait to see all the "EVO Coupes"

I would be remiss if I didn't give thanks to some peeps for their help when I was attempting my swap:

Napalm
Balla
GS KNIGHT
Flashblue RS
And all others I may have not mentioned.

POST PICS!!
this is in a 99' Galant

·
T-Money is T-Money
738 Posts
bluebomber did evo 8 head swap and AWD conversion
bostonhatcher did full evo 8 motor swap and AWD conversion

heres mine, not as pretty as the other posted but I love it :p

·
EVO Powered
605 Posts
Actually, I want to know this too. Is 2.3L + turbo too much tq for a FWD car? Do 2.0L engine swappers wish they could have built strokers instead?
Aaron it depends on your setup. Knowing what I know now, If I could do it over, I would build a 2.2 engine with FWD EVO trans and a 4.11 gear. Right now with the 2.4 and the 4.11 gear the car goes thru the gears quick since it doesnt rev that high where a 2.2 would rev to 9000 safely. The 2.4 engine with the 3g trans which has a 3.73 gear wasnt that bad sine the gears were longer but the 3g trans is weak so it becomes a durability problem. You could also build an EVO trans and use a 3.73 gear with the 2.4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems the build is for some fun drag racing based on what you know is that a goog combo for fun in the curves of HYW 1 along the coast. And I am sorry, I am new and this is a subject I have an interest in.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It seems the build is for some fun drag racing based on what you know is that a goog combo for fun in the curves of HYW 1 along the coast. And I am sorry, I am new and this is a subject I have an interest in.
hwy 1 is just like 152. If your focus is to rip n run through there youd need quick spooln turbo. Like an fp green maybe. Youd prolly get the results you need without the cost of the head swap + turbo setup. It be more cost effective to use all that cash on the turbo setup with a sohc head. :dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I have about 4000 to drop and am getting a complete evo motor/ trans plus wiring and ecu and I wanted to know from the people that did the whole motor swap what I need to fully complete it.... I have priced out a racing radiator for an evo not eclipse, the radiator hoses, headers for it, and full exhaust for an evo to match it...... But what I'm not sure on is the clutch??? What clutch do I buy and for what car, the evo or an eclipse clutch.... Also to let you know I plan on stroking this to a 2.2 and building the head... To push some hp.. :) but for right now I'm focused on just getting it in... And I know about having to do some rework on the motor mounts... Just need help on getting everything I need soo I don't have to wait on parts and getting it up faster :) and how much hp are some of the eclipse evo swap cars made if you have had it dynoed

·
Administrator
16,320 Posts
Hi I have about 4000 to drop and am getting a complete evo motor/ trans plus wiring and ecu and I wanted to know from the people that did the whole motor swap what I need to fully complete it.... I have priced out a racing radiator for an evo not eclipse, the radiator hoses, headers for it, and full exhaust for an evo to match it...... But what I'm not sure on is the clutch??? What clutch do I buy and for what car, the evo or an eclipse clutch.... Also to let you know I plan on stroking this to a 2.2 and building the head... To push some hp.. :) but for right now I'm focused on just getting it in... And I know about having to do some rework on the motor mounts... Just need help on getting everything I need soo I don't have to wait on parts and getting it up faster :) and how much hp are some of the eclipse evo swap cars made if you have had it dynoed
Go through the list of people you seen post in this thread. Look in their members ride and build thread for all the parts used.

·
Registered
446 Posts
First thing i would focus on is getting more money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont need more money if I have everything so far priced out and it is about 3900 total lol :) and do what with threads I'm not that smart

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You need to do more research before you spend a dime. If you don't u'll be over budget easy. Example:
-->EVO engine bays are shorter than ours. The radiator's taller than ours also. So unless you plan on makin it fit you're gonna lose money on it. You'll need to find an aluminum 3g radiator.
-->EVO trans = EVO clutch. To figure what one t buy you need to set a power goal. You'd be safe planning to spend 500 or more.
-->Going to a 2.2 is a destroke for us.

The main concern is how much power you're tryin to make. Application will determine the turbo. A clutch that can hold 450~ tq would be a good start. If you stay fwd with too much power you'll need to throw money at the suspension too. Unless you like roasting Ur tires like crazy.
Also if you want that power to be reliable. Quality and price come into play on top of that. It'd be advised as said before to read some more before you pull the trigger on parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea but swapping a complete evo motor is a destroke cause it is a 2.0 dohc and I wanted to keep my trans unless someone around Indiana that will drive to me and help me put in the awd swap... And I plan on making about 560 maybe 600 soo I was gonna go with a clutchmasters stage 3 which is about 800 bucks and I can just get a eclipse radiator for preformance

·
EVO Powered
605 Posts
Yea but swapping a complete evo motor is a destroke cause it is a 2.0 dohc and I wanted to keep my trans unless someone around Indiana that will drive to me and help me put in the awd swap... And I plan on making about 560 maybe 600 soo I was gonna go with a clutchmasters stage 3 which is about 800 bucks and I can just get a eclipse radiator for preformance
De-stroking is when you physically lower the stroke of the actual engine. So you having a 2.4 SOHC 4G64 and swapping in a 2.0 EVO 4G63 is not de-stroking, its an engine swap, two completely different engines.

The clutchmasters clutch at that price is too much, your probably going to want an ACT HD pressure plate and a 6 puck disc, that should be good into the high 400 low 500hp range, anything above that and you probably want to look at a twin-disc for a 2g eclipse 7 bolt FWD such as a QuarterMaster or PTT. Those are both $1200+ clutches.

At the power level you desire, your going to destroy the 3g tranny. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when, and its likely going to be sooner than later.

This is why everyone is telling you to do more research, your going to go over budget fairly easily. Its obvious that this is not going to cost you $3000, because for your power goals your going to need a turbo that costs at least $1,000 and a clutch that costs $1200, so you only have $800 left in your $3,000 budget to buy a motor, intercooler, fabricate an exhaust, fabricate intercooler pipes, wastegate, blow off valve, build a fuel system to support your 500-600whp goals, that stuff adds up quick. You really need to do much more research, clearly think through your goals for the car, save up some more money then make a decision. If you rush into this, your going to be stuck with a broken car and not enough money to finish it, your gonna get pissed off, part it out and be bitter about it. We have seen this happen many times. Building a 500+whp car is a huge reality check for most people.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
De-stroking is when you physically lower the stroke of the actual engine. So you having a 2.4 SOHC 4G64 and swapping in a 2.0 EVO 4G63 is not de-stroking, its an engine swap, two completely different engines.

The clutchmasters clutch at that price is too much, your probably going to want an ACT HD pressure plate and a 6 puck disc, that should be good into the high 400 low 500hp range, anything above that and you probably want to look at a twin-disc for a 2g eclipse 7 bolt FWD such as a QuarterMaster or PTT. Those are both $1200+ clutches.

At the power level you desire, your going to destroy the 3g tranny. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when, and its likely going to be sooner than later.

This is why everyone is telling you to do more research, your going to go over budget fairly easily. Its obvious that this is not going to cost you $3000, because for your power goals your going to need a turbo that costs at least $1,000 and a clutch that costs $1200, so you only have $800 left in your $3,000 budget to buy a motor, intercooler, fabricate an exhaust, fabricate intercooler pipes, wastegate, blow off valve, build a fuel system to support your 500-600whp goals, that stuff adds up quick. You really need to do much more research, clearly think through your goals for the car, save up some more money then make a decision. If you rush into this, your going to be stuck with a broken car and not enough money to finish it, your gonna get pissed off, part it out and be bitter about it. We have seen this happen many times. Building a 500+whp car is a huge reality check for most people.
:agreed: Thank you (and Ithinkyou) for dropping some much needed knowledge to the new guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts