Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a few small questions here: I plan to change the oil on my eclipse. Is it necessary to also change the oil filler cap gasket, or if it's fine - just leave it as it is? Another question is about the gasket - i took a quick look at the filler cap and the gasket is in the filler cap already, so the question is: how to change the gasket? unscrew the filler cap? Doubt that you'll need a new filler cap in such cases, but who knows... Cheers

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
Hello, a few small questions here: I plan to change the oil on my eclipse. Is it necessary to also change the oil filler cap gasket, or if it's fine - just leave it as it is? Another question is about the gasket - i took a quick look at the filler cap and the gasket is in the filler cap already, so the question is: how to change the gasket? unscrew the filler cap? Doubt that you'll need a new filler cap in such cases, but who knows... Cheers
If oil is leaking at the filler cap, you will know it, it will be obvious. The valve cover gasket leaks more often usually.
If the filler cap is leaking, just buy a new cap as they are cheap...Also, wipe clean the filler cap every time you take it off in case oil gets past the gasket. Also make sure to push the dipstick down till its fully seated after checking oil level. And DO NOT overfill the oil because it may increase the oil pressure, so if you use oil additives, add them after about two quarts of oil and then more oil till it reaches the full mark on dipstick. On the v6 Eclipse, you can figure on about 4.5 quarts of oil if you are changing the filter also and you fully drained the pan.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply Sisyphus58 !
hm. well i found the new OEM filler cap for about $30, while the gasket would only cost a little bit more than $1. so even if the new cap isn't that pricey - the difference is pretty obvious.
so to replace that gasket - i should unbolt the metal lock (or how does it called) from the filler cap or it's done somehow else?
yup, the valve cover gasket leaks and that's what also will be changed

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
584 Posts
The oil fill cap is held together with a nut and bolt, and you have to take it apart to replace the gasket. I think the bolt is punched and deformed after installation, so engine vibration doesn't back the nut off where it would fall into the engine. So you may find it very difficult to remove the nut, and I'd use loctite when reassembling.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
868 Posts
Rockauto has caps for like $6
I don’t see the need to buy oem for this type of part, but if you buy just the gasket instead from a dealer, call them first to verify availability and shipping cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts