Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my new engine (7k miles) and am going to hook up the sds. my question is when can i change over to synthetic oil? i've heard i have to wait until the engine is completely broken in. . but i'm not sure how many miles it takes. also, do i have to brake in the sds with conventional oil or can it run off of synthetic from the door? should i use a different weight rather than 5w30 since i'm fi now or no?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
TheFranchise said:
switch to a full synthetic 10w30
There was a thread about this awhile back where Rippmods said to their customers they should be running 10W40 conventional with the SDS. I personally say you should running synthetic 10W30 (or 5W30 if you live up north) with the V6 regardless of what your doing.

·
Pro DeeJay/K-Jay
862 Posts
:agreed:
TheFranchise said:
switch to a full synthetic 10w30
I recommend an engine oil flush before changing from conventional to synthetic oil.

·
Pro DeeJay/K-Jay
862 Posts
I use AMS Oil and they recommend the flush to clean out the crankcase of conventional oil. Conventional oil can leave some sludge and "residue" and you do not want to mix the two types of oil.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Kazzual1 said:
I use AMS Oil and they recommend the flush to clean out the crankcase of conventional oil. Conventional oil can leave some sludge and "residue" and you do not want to mix the two types of oil.
I could see that, but on an engine with such low milage you shouldn't have to worry about that. I pulled the oil pan on a 70K mile engine running conventional oil and it had about a 1/8 inch build up of black death in the bottom of that oil pan. But most other oil pans I pull with low milage that switched over to synthetic blends early in their engine lives have no traces of build up and never did any flushes. :dunno: I guess it depends on the car's history and how well maintained it was to begin with on rather a flush should be recommeded or not.

Anyone who has installed an SDS on their car should know if they need a flush or not.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
when i yanked the motor at 70k, i have near 0 residue in my motor. i ran 10w30 synthetic since 700 miles and changed it faithfully every 3-5k tops.

synth is better for heat resisitance over time compared to regular so the saying goes. i'll buy that :)

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i see 10w30 synthetic is the favored brand so far. so how long does it take the sds or engine to break in?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
from VORTECH, who knows the blower better than ripp ever will:

9. What type of maintenance is required with a Vortech supercharger system?
Follow the vehicle owners' manual recommendations for your vehicle. We do ask that you change your engine oil at regular intervals because the engine oil cools and lubricates the supercharger gears and bearings. When changing your oil, remove and clean the oil inlet fitting and strainer. For severe duty or racing, it is suggested that you install an oil cooler and filter. We suggest following the manufacturers recommendations concerning oil type and oil change interval. You can use mineral based, synthetic blend, or full synthetic oils with a Vortech supercharger system as long as the oil meets or exceeds vehicle manufacturer recommendations.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the manufacturer recommends 5w-30. should i stay with that or go to the 10w-30? i live up north where the weather peaks are around 90 in the summer and 15 in the winter.

·
Pro DeeJay/K-Jay
862 Posts
I would do the 5W30 as the manufacturer recommends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts