Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my timing belt/waterpump last weekend and now have a oil leak. I took off the cover to get a look at everything and it looks like the oil is leaking from the balance shaft belt tensioner? I don't think it's the balance shaft seal, I made sure to replace that along with the cam and crank seals. It seems dry above the tensioner, but there is definitely oil dripping off the bottom of the tensioner. What could be leaking there? I don't think there was any seals there. The tensioner is tight. I'm just confused as to why it's leaking and would like to have a idea of what's going on before I go and rip it all apart

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Damn, this forum is dead. Lol

Well I did a ton of searching and figured I share incase anyone comes across this who is about to do a timing belt. I found out that the bolt holes actually do go through to the block and can leak. Not sure exactly which ones do and which ones don't but to be safe I would put thread sealer on all the bolts on that side that you touch. I had to take everything apart just to get to my balance shaft belt tensioner and apply so thread sealer on the bolt. So annoying but it seemed to stop the leak. Kinda odd the factory service manual doesn't mention anything about this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are you sure it's not the actual hydraulic tensioner? I'm not as familiar with the 2.4, but the timing belt tensioner on the V6 has a little bit of fluid inside. Enough to make a noticeable weep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the round tensioner for the balance shaft belt on the bottom. Its down low to the left of the crank pulley. I guess its technically the oil pump that its mounted to so I could see why it would leak. Just odd it doesn't mention this in the OEM service manual at all. I figured out it needs thread sealer because I was looking at some service manuals for a evo since they are fairly similar and it mentioned it. But it doesn't mention it in the service manual for the eclipse which is weird, it obviously needs it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolt circled in red is where my oil leak was coming from. I put some thread sealer (not locker!!) on that bolt and its been leak free ever since.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts