Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 Eclipse GT 155K
After driving for about 900 miles I am down 3/4 of a quart. I hoisted up my car and found oil everywhere. I've had this car for about 2 months now and this was the first time hoisting it up myself and taking a peak.

The rear exhaust manifold's bolts had drops of oil sitting on them. (pic after lightly cleaning). I did not check the torque on the bolts but they were socket tight.

The front exhaust manifold appears to be doing the same thing. The bracket below the exhaust manifold was covered in oil. If it was a valve cover gasket i would think the bracket holding the dipstick tube would be covered as well.

So, what do you guys think? Could oil be leaking from the bolts holding on the exhaust manifolds? Or do you think it is possible the gaskets just below the manifolds (head gasket??) are the culprits?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in the top pic...what is the orange crap between the exhaust manifold and the head? Sealant of some sort? Is that ok?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Valve covers are probably the leakiest thing on these cars, followed by the cam plug o-ring and the distributor o-ring. So after those things are replaced, car should be nice and dry. Also since you have to remove the thermostat housing thing, might as well get a new o-ring there too, the one that sits on the water pipe.

Be careful removing and cleaning the valve covers so you don't deform them. Also tighten the bolts with a torque wrench

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! +ERep

I plan on doing the valve cover gaskets. Also, I see a small leak of coolant around the thermostat. Excellent advice!

Figured I might as well do the plugs, wires, etc. Car has 152k and who knows how long it has been since everything has been done.

Anything I should add to this list?
Plugs (6)
Wires (6)
Cap
Rotor
Valve cover gaskets w/tube seals (2)
Thermostat gasket
upper Intake plenum gasket

·
Pissed
1,387 Posts
Orange crap is someone's funny attempt at an exhaust gasket using silicone sealer.
These are exactly the kinds of things people should be looking for when they're buying a used car. Half-assed repairs like these are strong indicators that the car has not been maintained properly and will soon turn into a money pit. :noplease:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts