Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had a problem with oil leaking out of your valve cover after you installed the sds unit? i'm starting to have that problem. just curious if it's common. i'm thinking maybe the sds unit is getting hot enough to effect the gasket on the valve cover. . ?

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
perna00 said:
has anyone had a problem with oil leaking out of your valve cover after you installed the sds unit? i'm starting to have that problem. just curious if it's common. i'm thinking maybe the sds unit is getting hot enough to effect the gasket on the valve cover. . ?
You have to make sure the gasket is on straight, is dry, and is not all dried and brittle when you reinstall it. Also, do not overtorque them. They only need like 15inlbs of torque. Thats like barely past finger tight.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
15 inch pounds = 1.25 foot pounds, in case you were wondering

·
Registered
74 Posts
just another thought, make sure its comming out of your valve cover before you rip it apart....at first with the rip kit i tried using the stock oil cap..and it was leaking from there. so just make sure you check that out first, before you go replacing gaskets.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The RIPP kit's don't use a valve cover recirculation hose. I feel that's a mistake because, in my experience, recirculating the valve cover breather back into the inlet tube can really help lower crankcase pressure. I did a Nissan Spec V kit that we ran for a couple days without the v/c breather and the car developed a terrible leak from the valve cover gasket. Once we connected the v/c breather hose to the inlet tube the leak went away.

I think you should have a bung welded into your inlet tube and run a v/c breather hose over to it. If you are still using the filter on the s/c like the regular RIPP kit than just try drilling a hole in the end of the filter and running the hose right in to the filter.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, upon inspection of everythime, i think charged eclipse gets the most thanks. i cut the stock caps corners off just to see if it would help and :). i think that's the problem. so can any kind of oil cap work? where'd you get yours?

nice knowing about the inlet. i put a separate smaller filter on it and have it separated right now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I havent had any problems with any of the stock oil caps on the cars we've done. I've got a stock cap on my 4 cyl. car running at 17 psi with no problems. We have had some of the billet ones leak though. If the stock cap is old than the rubber seal can harden and cause leaks though.

I can't stress enough the importance of that v/c breather hose.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
A.A.I. said:
The RIPP kit's don't use a valve cover recirculation hose. I feel that's a mistake because, in my experience, recirculating the valve cover breather back into the inlet tube can really help lower crankcase pressure. I did a Nissan Spec V kit that we ran for a couple days without the v/c breather and the car developed a terrible leak from the valve cover gasket. Once we connected the v/c breather hose to the inlet tube the leak went away.

I think you should have a bung welded into your inlet tube and run a v/c breather hose over to it. If you are still using the filter on the s/c like the regular RIPP kit than just try drilling a hole in the end of the filter and running the hose right in to the filter.
unless they changed this, every RIPP kit is already using recirculation method as described to the air filter. If you examine the air filter, a hole is predrilled for the 2 foot supplies recirc hose also included in the kit

·
Registered
200 Posts
TheFranchise said:
unless they changed this, every RIPP kit is already using recirculation method as described to the air filter. If you examine the air filter, a hole is predrilled for the 2 foot supplies recirc hose also included in the kit
I guess I havent installed a new RIPP kit myself but everyone I've seen, in person and in pictures have had either nothing connected to the bung on the valve cover or a small filter. I thought Russ followed the directions to the T with Ryu's install and his was not put into the air filter.

Either way, it is important so whether it's in the instructions or not, it should be done.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
A.A.I. said:
I guess I havent installed a new RIPP kit myself but everyone I've seen, in person and in pictures have had either nothing connected to the bung on the valve cover or a small filter. I thought Russ followed the directions to the T with Ryu's install and his was not put into the air filter.

Either way, it is important so whether it's in the instructions or not, it should be done.
Do you have a picture of this Shane? Nothing of the sort was mentioned in the instructions (although a lot of things were not mentioned in the instructions), and I didn't see a hole predrilled in the filter when I installed the SDS on Ryu's car.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Mine had a hole predrilled, but I didn't use it. I just bought a little filter and let it hang off to the side of the valve cover.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
A.A.I. said:

this isnt new; been that way sine 2003.

the instructions previous were vague and never mentioned it but did provide the parts and hole.

hopefully the new instructions mention this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts