Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model: Eclipse

Year: 2000

Submodel: GS

Transmission: Sportronic

Miles: 189K

Problem: The oil light comes on when I make a sudden brake. For instance, braking for red lights, stop signs, or the first few brakes in the morning. The oil light will fade in and then fade out when I press the gas pedal. It won't stay on when I'm driving. Takes about 2 seconds for the braking to fade in, instantaneously starts to fade out with gas.

Mods: None

Done to fix: Checked oil fluid and brake fluid (why not). Searched for leaks.

I've had this car for a 2-3 years and this is the first I've seen it. Novice mechanic, can do most things, but please advise if a shop is best.

·
54,481 Posts
I'd venture a guess that the pressure sender is failing and starting to come on at a higher pressure than it should come on at, it's a cheap part that's easy to replace so replace it as a first step toward figuring the problem out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I started to notice the same thing over the past few weeks with my 02 Eclipse GT (manual).

My issue has only popped up after I'm in "stop and go" traffic for a while. I'll start having the oil light flicker on and off and it'll eventually get more and more pronounced. I usually just use the gas to keep my engine revv'd at about 900rpm to prevent the light from coming on/the pressure from dropping too low.

Once I shut the car off and leave it for a bit it'll idle totally fine again.

The funny thing is that I can drive the car all day without this issue appearing. It's only a regular problem when I go into NYC and have to ride the clutch most of the time.

I'll try to swap this myself and post an update here once I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue with my '01. Super easy fix for me, I switched to a heavier weight oil and done. The silly guy I bought it from had 5w20 in her. I don't know how long you've had your car...
I hope it's as easy a fix for you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts