·
Engineer Bassist
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year: 2002

Submodel: GS

Transmission: Sportronic

Miles: 38k

Problem: The oil light comes on when I break for extended periods of time. Just hitting brake will no induce, but braking for red lights, stop signs, or just holding it when I'm waiting, the oil light will fade in and then fade out slowly when I press gas pedal. Takes about 5 seconds of braking to fade in, intantaneously starts to fade out with gas.

Mods: None yet

Done to fix: Had it checked out, was told that as long as I don feel a difference in driving it's fine, but I don't think that's right.

What about long term affects???

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
replace the oil pressure sending unit. about a hr or so job.
:agreed:

And thank you for presenting your problem in a good format...now if we could just get everyone else to follow suit...:bigthumb:

·
Medic
2,354 Posts
Just gonna throw this out there. I had this exact problem where at idle the light would flicker. I put some seafoam in for about 50 miles before my oil change and i havent had a problem since. I guess mine was gunked up or somthing?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
just to confirm, the oil level is not low?
:rofl: I guess I just assumed he had already checked that, but good call...:D

·
Engineer Bassist
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I got this car last monday, dealer made sure everything was good including liquid levels, I checked. And about that seafoam idea, I think I'd like to try that before changing anything for sure... thanks

·
Engineer Bassist
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
really? If I put seafoam in, there's a possibility of messing something up? I have no clue what it really is, I'm gonna look it up right now, guess I should become more careful. Oh and thanks yet again to everyone in this thread, I love getting help, but more importantly learning about some aspects of my car and other things.

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
Although, will that just fix the light? Or is it a real problem I should get fixed soon?
If you have further doubts, you can temporarily attach an oil pressure gauge in place of the oil light sending unit and take an actual pressure reading.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
If you have further doubts, you can temporarily attach an oil pressure gauge in place of the oil light sending unit and take an actual pressure reading.
And don't forget to rev the engine while checking the pressure. It should rise as the RPMs rise.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I imagine you could handle the seafoam yourself, just search and read up on it. Not so sure I would suggest messing with the oil stuff unless you have read up on it very well in the FSM. Might be good to have a friend mechanic help, if you have one. If you can afford the shop/garage route then I would just drop the car off. I imagine replacing the oil probe could be messy or a pain (although I have not done it myself or even read up on how to do it).

Find the online FSM in Adobe/pdf format and run a search for "oil sending" or "oil unit" and it should find the proper procedure or chapter to read.

·
Engineer Bassist
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, and ya I think I'm gonna go the shop route and then work a couple extra hours for the payment. I'm still gonna read up on this though so I know more about it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had a similar problem in my old 85 s-10 a few years back. when i would brake for a certain period of time at a stop, my idiot light would come on for low oil pressure. turns out I had a bad booster and the vaccum leak was causing the engine to bog down slightly but recompensate almost to the point I didnt notice. It was at least enough to cause the oil pressure to drop enough to trigger the light. though this might not be the problem, at least its an isolation point to look check out.

·
Engineer Bassist
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm jut bringing this out of my memory, it may be wrong but I think about 1500 rpm when idling at a light.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts