Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendation for new oil lines for the Vortech blowers or in general?

I would like to get some stainless braid or something nice, anyone have a company or source that they recommend with fittings?

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
i've done my fuel lines, oil lines too to completely ss braided lines. the earls fittings are a bitch to put on the ss hose itself though. but basically if you can find out the sizes of the thread on the supercharger you can buy the right fittings. they might be a different thread. watch out for that, there are like 3 diff kinds of thread i know that cars use.. 2 of them are npt and jic (earls fittings) .. the AN fittings all pretty much use jic thread so if your vortech thread is npt, or something else, you may need an adapter. my fuel pressure regulator needed a -6 to oring boss -6 convertor to make it work.

cheapest place to buy fittings on the net is: http://www.fittingsguy.com/ (click on his sweetperformance link) -- very cool guy -- and wholesale prices.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Shane,
This is something I always wanted to do as well. Have you thought about an oil cooler ? It would be fairly simple and cheap to do.

·
Registered
970 Posts
TheFranchise said:
hmm i wonder where to mount that thing to make it effiecient and not a PITA to run

Somewhere on the front left of the car. My stratus has more room I think than the eclipse up front. My car is in staten island currently. I think the oil cooler could look good if mounted properly and some ss braided lines run to it as well.

I will probably try to dress up the engine a little now.

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
I have always ordered my ss lines from Jegs.com, they have a good selection of specialty fittings. At least for carbs and electric fuel pumps, they have several different brands. I have yet to get around to running my ss lines, was going to wait till I get my SDS.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine is all SS braided fuel and oil and i can confirm that the ends are a royal PITA to put on the hose. Prepare to get stabbed, a lot. The larger the line the harder it is.

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
Yes making SS lines isnt easy at all, or every kid on the block would be making them. It takes some patiants and time. You can buy alot of smaller lines premade in certain lengths in about any AN fitting size.

·
Registered
648 Posts
True, but hey are much more $$. I have beccome quite good at making them now. I usually get it first try.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
i find it rather than using electrical tape as they suggest use a lot of paper tape.. till it's secured, cut it. rip like 3/4 of the tape away.. so you have about 4-5 rounds of tape on the line.. then push that in.. take more tape off if it doesnt fit..

now as you push in.. and the line will go in.. and you start ripping the tape once it's in. use a lot of lube. if your gf isn't around, use wd40 or motor oil. if the line frays, that means you removed too much tape too early. :)

i can usually get it on the first try now.. and i totally agree. the bigger ones are the worst to make.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you use paper (masking) tape its usually peel soff easier. I used a dremel w/ cut off wheel to cut so the ends 99% of the time don't fray when i remove the tape. it takes a hair more time than a vice and cutters but its worth it in the end.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
This is a follow-on from my above post.

The formable rigid tubing and flair fittings are relatively inexpensive, the benders, tube cutter and double flaring tool are a one time expense, but after you have done a couple runs they end up paying for themselves, being cheaper than a fair length of braded stainless tubing. The fittings are commonly available, smaller in size, and you will use less of them because you don’t need all the adapters and couplers. Your runs will be much more precise, neater, easier to secure and take up less room. Your tube assembly’s can be painted, powder coated or chromed if you want and the whole instillation will look more professional and business like. Braded hose is for connections between two points that move separately from each other and need protection from abrasion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts