Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to drop the oil pan of my 03 GTS to clean and restore shape. I found that there is no oil pan gasket and someone said it's Permatex Grey RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.
I found that AdvanceAutoParts has Felpro Oil Pan Gasket for eclipse.
I just wondering which is better, the Felpro Oil Pan Gasket or the Permatex Grey RTV Silicone Gasket Maker?
Thanks.

·
54,396 Posts
the silicone is what they use from the factory, use the silicone. ultra-grey is good stuff, but you need to let it cure for 12-24 hours before adding engine oil and running the car, though even 8 hours should be OK. you want a bead around the pan and around the bolt holes as well on the bolt threads to prevent leaks. even bead about 2-4mm wide should be plenty.

the gasket is faster but may be more likely to leak, theres a reason they use silicone from the factory and its not just mitsu.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the silicone is what they use from the factory, use the silicone. ultra-grey is good stuff, but you need to let it cure for 12-24 hours before adding engine oil and running the car, though even 8 hours should be OK. you want a bead around the pan and around the bolt holes as well on the bolt threads to prevent leaks. even bead about 2-4mm wide should be plenty.

the gasket is faster but may be more likely to leak, theres a reason they use silicone from the factory and its not just mitsu.
Thanks for your reply.
Will the 3.5OZ tube be enough for one apply?

Advance Auto Parts: Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker by Permatex - Part 82194

·
54,396 Posts
should be enough, you don't need alot, the grey can be hard to make a good bead with. remember, cut the tip to be the width you want to bead to be and the tip should be at 45 deg angle.

OIL Pan Installation V he smears it, which you don't need to do for an OEM pan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should be enough, you don't need alot, the grey can be hard to make a good bead with. remember, cut the tip to be the width you want to bead to be and the tip should be at 45 deg angle.

OIL Pan Installation V he smears it, which you don't need to do for an OEM pan.
Thanks again.
From the picture, looks like there is nothing but oil in the lower pan space. The main reason for me to drop the pan is that pan was depressed like 1/4" by jack. I want to take it off and press it back.

·
54,396 Posts
not a bad idea, but 1/4 inch isn't too bad. I've seen cars running with pans pushed in worse. however, if its pushed in against the oil pickup screen it can cause problems with it sucking pan and not sucking oil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a bad idea, but 1/4 inch isn't too bad. I've seen cars running with pans pushed in worse. however, if its pushed in against the oil pickup screen it can cause problems with it sucking pan and not sucking oil.
yes, the dent is aside the drain plug. Do you this will cause problem? I think it's 1/4" -- 1/2". I'm really worry about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the oil screen stick into lower oil pan?
Can't find any picture about this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I checked the very closely again. Looks like it's may not be depressed. Just the drain plug area stick out a little bit make it looks like depressed.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
That's a good dent, i love the grey silicone and use it for all sorts of stuff! it won't blow out and start leaking cause it sets up hard unlike the junk blue shit i used to use.
i would go for it and fix it now, one less thing to worry about and it is a simple job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Is the DORMAN oil pan the same as the OEM?

If the stick out design around the drain plug is not suppose to be like that, Then I would like to get a new pan. It's hard to push back to even without damage something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got new oil pan installed. Thanks to everybody.
Yes, the oil pan has a good dent.
The oil pick up screen is on the other side of the dent and didn't affected.
The oil pick up screen sticks into the lower pan and very close to the bottom of the pan.
There is no magnet in the pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread is super old but I cant seem to find where the 2 small bolts go on the oil pan, there are 17 longer ones and 2 smaller ones, does anybody know which holes the 2 smaller ones go into?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts