Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Oil Press & Oil Temp tap in...

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Tearstone 
#1 ·
Alright, I'm doing some research into isntalling oil temp and oil pressure gauges. I want to go with short sweep electric guages, instead of mechanical ones. Is there a real difference between a short sweep electric and a full sweep electric? Is it fine to get short sweep electric oil press & oil temp?

Looking on the install for oil press, I found there are a few ways to do it. However, I need a way that will work with a SDS kit. So I found out you can either tap the oil feed line between the oil pan and vortech supercharger, and put a T-fitting there, or isntall the guage tap in things, like AN lines.

Also, I found out looking at the serice manual there is a oil press tap in right where the oil filter is on the 6g72 motor, couldn't you just tap in there for the oil pressure?

Just tap in there with a 1/8th NPT ?

As for the oil temp, I have no idea where to install the the sender unit. Someone point me in the right direction on this one. :twothumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
I was using the Greddy adapter that goes between the oil filter and the engine block for my oil pressure/temp, but it doesn't fit with the Tearstone kit. I'm sure it would work with the SDS kit, though. It actually worked pretty well.

The Tearstone kit actually taps at the oil pressure switch for the oil feed, so I don't think there would be a problem tapping there for the pressure. Heck, the stock oil pressure switch is pretty useless anyway.

#4 ·
WanderingPinoy said:
I was using the Greddy adapter that goes between the oil filter and the engine block for my oil pressure/temp, but it doesn't fit with the Tearstone kit. I'm sure it would work with the SDS kit, though. It actually worked pretty well.

The Tearstone kit actually taps at the oil pressure switch for the oil feed, so I don't think there would be a problem tapping there for the pressure. Heck, the stock oil pressure switch is pretty useless anyway.
Whoa... that Greddy one is a pretty cool invention I might say. Where did you buy it from? Thanks

#5 ·
WanderingPinoy said:
The stock oil pressure tap is great when priming a engine that is rebuilt or pretty much telling you that your about to have an iminent engine failure in the event that your oil pan has been slashed :(.

#7 ·
To answer the question about your oil temp, you could always tap your bottom oil pan since the sensor has to stay imersed in the fluid you are trying to monitor. Rulez had his oil temp sensor tapped there for awhile, and definitely was effective in delivering information about how hot the oil was getting when running the car really hard at the track.

#8 ·
Tearstone said:
Out of curiousity, where are you tapping for the oil for your SDS? It should be right from the stock sending unit location?
It is from the stock sending unit, that's why I asked if you could just put a T-fitting in that location, between the feed line. I'll have to double check, underneath the car. But im almost positive it from that stock sending unit.

However, from the looks of it, that Greddy one that goes between the filter, looks like a good alternative for both temp and press.

#10 ·
Clipse3GT said:
It is from the stock sending unit, that's why I asked if you could just put a T-fitting in that location, between the feed line. I'll have to double check, underneath the car. But im almost positive it from that stock sending unit.

However, from the looks of it, that Greddy one that goes between the filter, looks like a good alternative for both temp and press.
Your right, I would just use that Greddy adapter. I remember when Shane first posted on it here: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29963&highlight=Greddy+Oil+Adapter I thought it was an excellent idea.

#14 ·
WanderingPinoy said:
Just wanted to give an update - the Greddy adapter actually fits now with the Tearstone V6 kit - piping shifted around a bit after everything was tightened down, and now there is enough clearance for the filter+greddy adapter :yesway:
good job. that product is a MUST HAVE for any FI install

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.