Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a quick question.

Before i go drilling into the oil pan, here's something i just thought of . . .

Would there be anything wrong with using the dipstick hole as the oil return point? Personally i think it should be fine, i just want to get some opinions from you guys.

Thanks

·
Lubisz To Suko!
3,547 Posts
Not really, oil retun is based on gravity taking the oil down, therefore you want to give it the easiest way down possible.

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The turbo is going to be placed pretty high. . . height level is just a lil above the tranny, so the gravity thing is not going to be a problem.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts

Would there be anything wrong with using the dipstick hole as the oil return point? Personally i think it should be fine, i just want to get some opinions from you guys.

Thanks
Yeah, you could do it. Are you just going to rely on oil pressure to confirm you oil level? I'm not sure I'd want to eliminate the dipstick check.

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
Three problems I can think of right off the top of my head.

1. No more dipstick. Even a blonde knows to check the oil now and then. Won't be able to do that when you don't have a stick.

2. Much too long of an oil return line that would have to run half way around the engine.

3. No reliable way to attach the return line.

Do it the way it works best. Weld in a bung and use a good line.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts

Thanks
:hspin:

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drill a hole it is :(

I was hoping to find a "easier" solution. I do have a oil pressure gauge, of which i was planning to use to monitor oil shit, but oh weeeeell. . . .

The oil return line would actually be shorter then the oil feed line in my case. So that wouldnt have posed and issue.

I WAS supposed to be installing in everything today BUT. . . .fuckin snow shit closed the base auto hobby shop! So yea. . . .one more week without boost :(

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, i was planning to install over the weekend and do the finishing touches over the week. But no dice. . . as it freakin snowed here and well. . .the auto hobby shop i use to do all my work closed down for the weekend because of the snow. There is a car show i was planning to go to this upcomming saturday. . . I'm damn near positive i will not have my car turbo'd before then. . . .bummer. . . .

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Explained a lil easier. . . you got pressurized oil going into the turbo. . . which in turn will push the oil out the other side of the turbo (oil drain line). Gravity "helps" the feed/drain process. Not entirely necessary

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
It IS necessary because the pressurized oil is also foamy as hell, and unless it's being helped by gravity and also dumped above the oil line in the pan, it's going to back up and eventually blow through a seal

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
And make sure you use a -10an line. If you aren't welding it, JB weld works good but you need to lay a shitload on and let it harden before it even touches oil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts