Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so we have just been told that at the end of this month Bob Lutz will be visiting the office. We will have a 4 hour time period to ask questions pertaining to the company / products. There will be about 50 people attending and it should be a very personal session. They're saying we can ask anything and everything, so if you all have something constructive you would like me to ask I can... but of course I want to keep my job so don't be ludicrous. :fawk:

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
Will he give me a free 2008 CTS-V? ;)

on a more serious note, what are GM's intentions on actually using the new 4.5L Duramax Diesel engine? What models will get the engine and when do we expect those vehicles to arrive at showrooms?

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will he give me a free 2008 CTS-V? ;)

on a more serious note, what are GM's intentions on actually using the new 4.5L Duramax Diesel engine? What models will get the engine and when do we expect those vehicles to arrive at showrooms?
my short answer is late '08 through '09. I know for sure they're throwing it into the Hummer line. but I can inquire beforehand as that is probably something I can find out without directly asking him.

How does he feel about Toyota selling more cars than GM?? :D
negative. GM is still #1 to date. :p Toyota tried including Scion into their division numbers to say they beat chevy. GM's response was, "well, then we'll include GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Saab, Saturn, Pontiac, Buick, Holden and Opel into our chevy calculations." :fawk:

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
my short answer is late '08 through '09. I know for sure they're throwing it into the Hummer line. but I can inquire beforehand as that is probably something I can find out without directly asking him.

negative. GM is still #1 to date. :p Toyota tried including Scion into their division numbers to say they beat chevy. GM's response was, "well, then we'll include GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Saab, Saturn, Pontiac, Buick, Holden and Opel into our chevy calculations." :fawk:
:lol:

I really do like this little pissing contest you and I have. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Any plans to shrink or enlarge the 3.6 DOHC V6 to create versions for other model lines, and finally put an end to the 60 degree V6's...and maybe the 3800?

Engine/Trim options on the new Camaro?

Is the Northstar replacement DOHC V8 project officially killed?

Oh and tell him my father says hi...and thanks him for the picture from many years ago. He is also named Robert A. Lutz, and used to work for GM when the aforementioned Robert A. Lutz was working for Chrysler. He met him very briefly at an industry conference in Detroit sometime in the '80s I believe.

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
ask him what the loss ratios are like since gm adopted the extended powertrain warranty?

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Why have domestic car makers been so resistant to developing clean desiel cars/trucks? (more power, less emissions, better mpg)

Are there any thoughts in the future of using large, high output two stroke engines in cars/trucks? (Think like the new evenrude)

What are you going to do about the UAW and the draining of corp profits to pay for retired union employees?

Are you going to bring back the GTO?

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
I believe Rob was simply asking about total number of vehicles sold worldwide. So, ask him how he feels about Toyota overtaking GM in the next year or two. If GM can include Opel, Holden, Saab, etc in your WORLDWIDE numbers, Toyota can certainly include Scion. To make the point against GM even further, GM did include Geo in their sales when they were around.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/01/toyota_gm.html said:
January 13, 2008
Toyota reported 2007 worldwide sales of 9.37 million cars and trucks and that could be enough to propel the Japanese corporation ahead of General Motors to become the world's largest automaker.

GM, which is held the title for 76 years, will report company sales figures January 23. Analysts, however, estimate GM sales for 2007 at approximately 9.3 million cars and trucks.

Toyota sales increased of 6 percent in 2007 and the automaker predicts a 5 percent sales rise in 2008 to 9.85 million vehicles.

Toyota executives have downplayed the importance of the milestone and have refused to celebrate overtaking GM.
Two things:
1) It will happen eventually. Face it.
2) GM would send out 9 gazillion press bulletins if they were overtaking Toyota for the top spot (probably costing 18 billion and causing the shutting down of 2 factories).

Mav, I know we have gone back and forth over which company is better. I simply refuse to believe that you can't see it coming.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
ask him what the loss ratios are like since gm adopted the extended powertrain warranty?
That is probably WAY too early to tell. It has only been out a year or two. Too small of a sample to get accurate numbers as most are still within the factory warranty period.

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
Why did my dad just get raped on his 03 CTS service at the Caddy Stealership? They charged him $900 for a thermostat swap.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Why did my dad just get raped on his 03 CTS service at the Caddy Stealership? They charged him $900 for a thermostat swap.
If you think he got raped at the service department, wait until he trades it in...

Ok Mav, I'll stop now. :fawk2:

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
That is probably WAY too early to tell. It has only been out a year or two. Too small of a sample to get accurate numbers as most are still within the factory warranty period.

I think you are mostly right. I get claims all the time now and very new cars with lots of miles on them. Americans are driving more than ever, as I am sure you know.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe Rob was simply asking about total number of vehicles sold worldwide. So, ask him how he feels about Toyota overtaking GM in the next year or two. If GM can include Opel, Holden, Saab, etc in your WORLDWIDE numbers, Toyota can certainly include Scion. To make the point against GM even further, GM did include Geo in their sales when they were around.

Two things:
1) It will happen eventually. Face it.
2) GM would send out 9 gazillion press bulletins if they were overtaking Toyota for the top spot (probably costing 18 billion and causing the shutting down of 2 factories).

Mav, I know we have gone back and forth over which company is better. I simply refuse to believe that you can't see it coming.
Please understand that I was stating the fact that Toyota tried to claim that the toyota franchise (not lexus, not scion) beat chevy. This claim of theirs included scion sales. therefore they were saying that toyota + scion = toyota franchise sales. In turn, GM turned around and said, "fine toyota, we'll include..." all these other brands in our chevy calculation.

Two things:
1) I understand it will happy and it's fine with me.
2) We'll see what really happens when toyota overtakes GM.

A dealership is it's own entity. GM does not control what they do, we only advise them to do the right thing. If they do that or not is up to them. Thanks for veering off topic.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Please understand that I was stating the fact that Toyota tried to claim that the toyota franchise (not lexus, not scion) beat chevy. This claim of theirs included scion sales. therefore they were saying that toyota + scion = toyota franchise sales. In turn, GM turned around and said, "fine toyota, we'll include..." all these other brands in our chevy calculation.
Oh ok, I misunderstood.. That makes sense. Crazy Japs. :lol:

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
A dealership is it's own entity. GM does not control what they do, we only advise them to do the right thing. If they do that or not is up to them. Thanks for veering off topic.
So GM'll take credit for the sales figures dealerships put out, but not ownership of the cruddy job they do?

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
So GM'll take credit for the sales figures dealerships put out, but not ownership of the cruddy job they do?
Its the same for all automakers. Our experience buying a Toyota from a Toyota dealer was equally shitty. Personally it'd be nice for Joe Public to be able to buy a car directly from the manufacturer, but there's some anti-trust law that made dealerships a necessity.

And I believe the automakers count factory orders, not necessarily dealer sales.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
And I believe the automakers count factory orders, not necessarily dealer sales.
It's a tricky situation. Most of the time, they are counting factory to dealer as a sale. So if GM pushed 10 million cobalts on one dealership, yep, that's 10 million sales. The really important number to look at is "Days supply" for a manufacturer. That will tell you the true story as to how many are actually being sold to the public. A lower days supply means that there are more cars going to customers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts