Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compressor grenaded on the '02 GS recently. "Grenaded" as in froze up, shredded the belt...
Replaced the compressor, charged system.
Pressures at idle were close to normal (40/250 or so, it's 90 degrees), blowing cold and all seemed well- but the low side tanked and high side skyrocketed when throttled up.

I'm guessing high side restriction caused by debris from the compressor failure, would the first guess be evaporator/orifice tube? Or receiver/dryer on the condenser (that's certainly much easier to start with). Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
783 Posts
The dryer needs to be replaced when the compressor is replaced. It's likely clogged or at the very least contaminated. From there, the throttling valve/expansion valve/whatever they call it in these cars is the next place I'd look. If any debris from the compressor ended up in the system, it could make its way there. While a clog in the condenser is possible, it's unlikely it got clogged to the point that it cut off pressure that bad. It sounds like when you throttled up, the extra flow pushed debris to the throttling valve.

Also, not that this is related to the pressure readings you're getting, but did you replenish the oil in the AC system when you changed the compressor? It's important to do that to make sure your new compressor lasts a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I'll replace the dryer element on the condenser, easiest place to start and hopefully that'll solve the issue.
I realize the "right" way to do this is disassemble the entire system, flush the lines, put it back together and charge- but tearing apart the dash to replace the evap is something I'm hoping to avoid.

Yeah, did add oil to the compressor before installation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts