Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Zed oh six
Joined
·
6,234 Posts
Horrible idea. One, you need to have the MAS attached to the intake or the car will not run properly. I know the DDP kit has a suck through design like our xtech kits do, so unless you move it to blow through like RIPP does, that wont work. Thats not an optimal design anyway. Two, its not safe fot the turbo itself. Even the smallest piece of debris can damage the blades.

There really is no gain form trying to attempt this.
 

·
Garrett T3/T4
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
NAPALM said:
Without the MAF Sesnor installed I dont think the engine will run at all.... :ugh:
It won't. The car stalls. the computer in the car reads that no air is getting into the engine, so it shuts off.
 

·
got Jesus?
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the maf sensor is installed, it is before the turbo. i'm having trouble getting a filter w/ pipe to fit, it so crammed up right there.
 

·
OMFG
Joined
·
6,632 Posts

·
Zed oh six
Joined
·
6,234 Posts
It's called the "MAS", not "MAF" guys ;)

As long as you have the MAS before the turbo to meter the air, the car will run fine, but as I said before, I wouldn't do it. You risk damaging the MAS and the turbo this way.

intenzeclipz, do you have a picture or something of where your intake is pointing? Maybe if we see it we can give some suggestions.
 

·
Got Boost? Me either
Joined
·
5,789 Posts
and the car will run without the MAS cause ive done it before. but the car will run very rich and it feels as if the car is bogging down when you press the car.
 

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
The answer to your question is yes. You can run a open turbo on a 3G as long as you find a way to eliminate the MAS from your setup. To do that, you will have to replace your ECU so that you can meter your air with a different method.

You could also put your MAS after the turbo, if you are willing to deal with all of the problems that come with it. Maybe you can get Rippmods to sell you one of their gray boxes to fix all of those problems. But it's still not a guaranteed to work 100% unlike taking the MAS out of the equation all together.
 

·
OMFG
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
Rulez said:
It's called the "MAS", not "MAF" guys ;)

As long as you have the MAS before the turbo to meter the air, the car will run fine, but as I said before, I wouldn't do it. You risk damaging the MAS and the turbo this way.

intenzeclipz, do you have a picture or something of where your intake is pointing? Maybe if we see it we can give some suggestions.
I was just curious how you came to this conclusion on your own being that the manual only refers to the "air flow sensor"?

....and....

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf
 

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
NAPALM said:
I was just curious how you came to this conclusion on your own being that the manual only refers to the "air flow sensor"?

....and....

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf
There are different ways to meter air. We have a pull through MAS due to it's other auxillary functions that is handles as well (barometric pressure sensor, air temp etc).

Mustangs for example, have a hot wire blow through MAF. You can easily twin turbo a Mustang because of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Tearstone said:
There are different ways to meter air. We have a pull through MAS due to it's other auxillary functions that is handles as well (barometric pressure sensor, air temp etc).

Mustangs for example, have a hot wire blow through MAF. You can easily twin turbo a Mustang because of that.
This is not totally true. Blow throughs don't work well on Mustangs either. There are a couple companies that do it but it is usually plagued with problems. Procharger set up their supercharger kit's with a blow through design. The majority of the ones I've seen have had idle problems. We've converted them over to a draw through and the problems have been solved.

The terminology is really the same.

MAF= Mass Air Flow (then add sensor to the end)

MAS= Mass Airflow Sensor
 

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
A.A.I. said:
This is not totally true. Blow throughs don't work well on Mustangs either. There are a couple companies that do it but it is usually plagued with problems. Procharger set up their supercharger kit's with a blow through design. The majority of the ones I've seen have had idle problems. We've converted them over to a draw through and the problems have been solved.

The terminology is really the same.

MAF= Mass Air Flow (then add sensor to the end)

MAS= Mass Airflow Sensor
Yeah? That's good to know!
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top