Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I'm in the market for my first 3G, and I've come across one that I really like, and I just wanted some opinions on it.

Its a 2001 GT, auto. 86,000 Miles, and they want $7,495. It looks like there may be a couple small dents on the rear passenger fender, but I can't tell if it is just the lighting. Regardless the rest of the body looks like its in good condition. So far that is the lowest price I have found for one around here, so thats why I thought I would come and ask you guys. Also, what are some issue I should look for when I take it for a test drive?

Heres the AutoTrader link to it.

AutoTrader

·
Registered
267 Posts
ok...first of alll you want to check out the motor mounts... beacuase these like to break alot... just have someone hit the brakes while you look into the engine bay and have your friend put it into drive then reverse and go back and fortch a few times to make sure the engine its moving around ...if it is you need new mounts. also drive it in sporttronic mode and see if it shifts smooth...take it on the highway see if if theres anyshaking and if you see or hear anything that you do not know what it is just post somthing up here and im more than certain somone will have an explaination for you...goodluck with buying hope all goes well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, already knew to check the sprorttronic mode, had a bad experience with that with a test drive I did a spider a couple weeks back. I'll let ya know about the engine mounts after I go and check it out.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Let them know that there are a wide array of Sporty's that you can get for much cheaper, try and talk them down if you can. If you are getting this car because you want some speed out of it I would sway away from the Sporty, but having the Stratus R/t (identical twin) of it i'm somewhat happy with it, atleast you don't have to shift in traffic or anything.

I'd just try and talk them down, remind them that there are a ton of maintenance procedures that are also coming up, timing belt, plugs and wires and cap, motor mounts, tensioner, etc etc. Search around on here and you'll find everything you need.

·
Boom
3,411 Posts
Ask them if they had the timing belt done at 60,000 miles. It's a good bit of money you'll have to spend if they didn't do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks guys.

And no, I'm not just getting it for speed, I want it becuse I love the look of 3g Eclipses, always have, and always will.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
Ask them if they had the timing belt done at 60,000 miles. It's a good bit of money you'll have to spend if they didn't do it.
Not to mention if they did get it done make sure they replaced the water pump as well. (Preventative maintenance) Spark plugs are a beast in the V6, so if they have replaced them with stock or better you shouldn't ever have to replace them (I pulled my stock plugs out at ~115k miles and they looked fine)

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
Looking at kbb.com (kelly blue book) site, just punching in the mileage for the 2001 GT, for private party sale and "good" condition, its listed at $7785, so the price is good. Just like someone said, make sure they did the timing belt and spark plugs/wires and check on the other maintenance upkeep. If all that is ok, thats a decent price, considering. But ya, you can always talk them down a bit too. Just mention you're not sure if you want to spend that much money and mention the dents (if they are on the fender like you said), maybe he'll come down a few hundred or something. Cant hurt. Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
honestly dont get a sporty..lol
but no in all seriousness, the price sounds right. double check on the routine matinence and motor mounts and your good to go. good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just really don't enjoy driving a stick.... actually its more so I don't like stallin out, lol.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got through the "Things I Dislike About My Eclipse" thread. Sounds like the eclipse has its quarks, ust like every other car. Doesn't sound worse then the Sunfire I'm driving now.

I'll be going out this weekend and looking at it and giving it a test drive. Just gotta see if this position leads into a permanent spot. If all goes well I should have it in the next 3-4 weeks! :bigthumb:

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Finally got through the "Things I Dislike About My Eclipse" thread. Sounds like the eclipse has its quarks, ust like every other car. Doesn't sound worse then the Sunfire I'm driving now.

I'll be going out this weekend and looking at it and giving it a test drive. Just gotta see if this position leads into a permanent spot. If all goes well I should have it in the next 3-4 weeks! :bigthumb:
Is it at a dealer? If so, most dealers are dumping inventory every 30-60 days. Depending on how long it has already been there (and I am suspecting a while now due to the price), it might not be there when you go back to buy it. Just a little warning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Luckily, if it isn't there, theres quite a few other dealerships around here with Mitsus, so if I can't get my hands on this one I'm sure I can get a hold of another one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alright, I got another one for ya guys. This one is a 2005, same specs at the 1st I posted, except it only has 79000 miles on it. The catch is, they only want 9500 for it. This seems very low, so I e-mailed the dealer the asked if there was anything wrong with it, and this is what I got back...

Description: 05 eclipse GT V6 AT Runs and drives great! Very powerful.
> AM/FM stereo CD player A/C is ice cold! Very clean, Fully loaded interior.
> Paint and body in good condition.We have been in business since 1988
> successfully. I believe if we take care of you, your friends, family, and
> neighbors will chose us for their next purchase. Call mark @ (***)
> ***-****
And heres the link to the AutoTrade page for it..

AutoTrader

I e-mailed um back and asked about the timing belt and water pump, so I'm just waiting to hear back on that.

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
You mean it has 79,000 miles on it. Check the listing again. 79000 for a 2005? I have a 2000 and it barely is rolling 71k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, So I went to look at what was supposed to be a 2002 Eclipse GS a couple days ago. When I got to the lot, I looked over the car, and it was in pretty good shape. Interior was nice, exterior looked good. So I popped the hood to see how the engine looked... I open it up and wouldn't ya know it, it had the V6 engine! Feeling very confused I asked the dealership, and they had absolutely no idea how to do there job, so they were no help. The only thing that I can think of, either the engine had been replaced (highly unlikely) or the trunk lid had been replaced and they replaced it with a GS lid.

Now to the best part.. they were going to try and charge me $9000, and it had 89,000 miles on it. :uh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts