Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past couple of days, even generally on the internet. My 03 GTS upper and lower intake manifold is out for port and polishing and I have a question about the EGR.

As most of us know this system recirculates exhaust gases at cruise to achieve lower Nox emissions and to provide a slight increase in fuel mileage. My question is not on the form or function of the EGR system, but the contamination left behind in the intake manifold.

As some of you know a professional port and polish job is not cheap. My concern is that the carbon and other contaminants from the exhaust system may coat the inside of the intake runners, etc. having a negative effect on the polish job.

If you spent the money on a "P&P" would you still run the EGR system? Has anyone seen the inside of an intake manifold with 70k miles or more? I'm interested to know of the build up, if any. On many GM vehicles, the EGR port/s can actually clog from so much contamination.

I don't want to reinstall the intake manifold just to have it fill with debris?

Opinions??

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Using the EGR after a PnP would be a waste of money, just cut and weld the tube, and put a screw in the vacuum line that comes from the solenoid to the value. I've heard that will do the trick, but my car has been having some problems, that could be unrelated to that, but play around with it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Using the EGR after a PnP would be a waste of money, just cut and weld the tube, and put a screw in the vacuum line that comes from the solenoid to the value. I've heard that will do the trick, but my car has been having some problems, that could be unrelated to that, but play around with it.
Plugging the valve will throw a code, just attach a mini breather on the end of the cut tube & use a pipe plug for the rear manifold. And yes, don't run the EGR after your PnP, it will gunk up the manifold very quickly again.

·
2011's are gay
4,791 Posts
remove the whole egr tube and valve, and block/plug them where necesarry, leave the vac line that went to the valve open, so that it still sucks air so the solenoid won't throw a code

·
MIVEC?
1,397 Posts
Disable EGR in the ecu and the valve won't open.
^That is the proper way to do it. I used to have mine rigged up to suck air in through the intake until I learned how to disable it in the computer. Now I can remove it completely with no problems/codes.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Putting a filter on the end of the EGR tube just will suck in ambient, clean filtered air and will not gunk up anything + you will throw no code. It is not inert gas but that is OT. I ran that way for 60k or so because of my headers and my intake still got coated but in oil. The real mess maker is the PCV system. Get a catch can to pull the oil vapor from the air before it gets into the intake.

I would get a SaiKou Michi catch can because they have mesh inside to help the oil condense and separate from the air better. They have a drain on the bottom too which is nice.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^That is the proper way to do it. I used to have mine rigged up to suck air in through the intake until I learned how to disable it in the computer. Now I can remove it completely with no problems/codes.
That sounds like the best bet. The car is going to AMS in Chicago in the spring for ECU flashing. I will have them "turn off" the EGR there. The PCV idea is also a quite valid argument. That hadn't crossed my mind. I will definately look into the possibility of a catch can or venting it overboard via filter.

I'm located in SE Wisconsin. I put the car away every winter to keep it out of the salt,etc. During the summer it's a daily driver. Thanks all, the information is much appreciated.

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
The real mess maker is the PCV system. Get a catch can to pull the oil vapor from the air before it gets into the intake.
+1

Lots of people think catch cans are only beneficial to FI'ed vehicles, but N/A benefits just as well.

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
It removes the oil before it enters the manifold. It's minimal compared to a boosted vehicle, but it still reduces the amount of junk clogging the mainfold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts