Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vortech Inside
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using ripps 2nd gen bov and although I really don't have complaints with it, Ive been thinking about changing it. I saw some members here have used greddy and other bovs that you would more normally find on the turbo setups. Anyone want to chime in with sound/performance differences? i have a sporty so would it just be a waste of money?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
From what I understand, Ripp's BOV is an integral part of their setup. Changing it out may or may not cause issues. My guess is that it won't cause issues, but the tune may have to be revisited.

·
Ripped & Torqued
540 Posts
I think if you get an internally vented BOV you shouldn't have an A/F mix problem.

Of course, you could getthat whistle you get with an externally vented BOV if you have the software to change your black box programming.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
I think if you get an internally vented BOV you shouldn't have an A/F mix problem.

Of course, you could getthat whistle you get with an externally vented BOV if you have the software to change your black box programming.
If he has Ripp's piping set up, he can not recirculate the BOV (if by "internally vented BOV" you mean). My feeling is that if it works, leave it be.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used a Turbo XS H34 for 3 months and I modified it to leak air just like the RIPP BOV, the only thing it did for me was make a nicer sound in between shifts. With it I could hear the Valve sit back down in between shifts, it was pretty nice to hear!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was told by a guy at UMS Tuning not to use the HKS SSQV becaust it doesnt leak at idle or while cruising down the highway. He said it could cause damage to the supercharger.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was told by a guy at UMS Tuning not to use the HKS SSQV becaust it doesnt leak at idle or while cruising down the highway. He said it could cause damage to the supercharger.
That is right, you have to find a BOV with an adjustable spring rate or that offers weaker springs, such as the Tial, Greddy RS/RZ ect ect.

·
Vortech Inside
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, I was more so interested in the sound since I just love to hear the thing. hey clipse, maybe ill take that bov off your hands with the block...if you need a bov to sell with your kit perhaps a trade is in order..? :ndance:

But yeah, I remember reading about the compressor surge problem with non-leaking bovs. I'm going to be retuning everything soonish so if there are any problems, it'll be ironed out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the input, I was more so interested in the sound since I just love to hear the thing. hey clipse, maybe ill take that bov off your hands with the block...if you need a bov to sell with your kit perhaps a trade is in order..? :ndance:

But yeah, I remember reading about the compressor surge problem with non-leaking bovs. I'm going to be retuning everything soonish so if there are any problems, it'll be ironed out.
You should come take the block off my hand and crank your boost up! And with that trade offer, I will do that man, I have the Turbo XS customized for the SDS setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts