Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the freeway in 4th gear at 3 rpms then i down shifted into 2nd and over rev'd my car for a couple of seconds and heard a metal clink like something fell from my car. :sweat: shortly after my check engine light came on and i got a p0171 code. i noticed a loss in power and when idling my car alters between 400 and 1100 rpm, i can also hear hissing from the intake manifold. i know i have a vacuum leak but i need some help on finding it, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for the read :p

·
Back from Deployment
2,001 Posts
You probably broke the welds on your intake manifold--100% serious, not a Fast and the Furious reference. :lol

Check it out right behind the throttle body. Spray some carb cleaner at it while it's running and listen for it to change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha oh man if that's the case i guess i could upgrade my manifold on the bright side. I did a smoke test on it earlier and smoke was leaking out of the bottom of where the throttle body and the intake connect do you think that could really be the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was on purpose lol This is my first car and im still learning about how cars work so im a bit of a newbie :p i won't make the same mistake twice though

·
Back from Deployment
2,001 Posts
Funny thing is I just did this today in the Camaro. Nothing broke though.

The weld where the throttle body flange meets the tubes is a weak point. The excessive movement of the engine caused by the release of the clutch at that rev range caused axial forces on that joint because of the intake being bolted to the body of the car while the engine floats on the mounts.

You can get a used one from the junk yard for next to nothing, or have that one welded for next to nothing, but I'd check the motor mounts to ensure one didn't shit the bed in the event.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts