Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and just bought my second eclipse. 2003 GS manual with just basic bolt ons, nothing major. The motor was rebuilt 6000 miles ago. I know enough about cars to do a lot of my own stuff I just need direction.

Problem: Last night I was cruising at 75. Then noticed the needle was at H. Car shut off and I pulled over. Let it cool down and then discovered the bottom radiator hose popped off. I put that back on added coolant and bled it the best I could on the side of the highway. Car overheated and died again on the way home so I pulled the T stat and finished driving home. It continued to heat up to about 3/4 and then I parked it. Now have SES light and bled system again today. White smoke comes from the extra hose on the overflow tank(and out of cap while bleeding) and it runs and idles real rough. Can anyone tell me what I need to start checking into or how to diagnose this cars cooling system? Sorry for the long post just wanted to get all of the info out in one go. Thanks for all the help. :dunno:

·
Pshyc
1,130 Posts
compression check it as you may have blew the headgasket, if it got that hot to turn the car off, and still over headed with out the thermostat. Bad news.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That is kind of weird. I'm guessing when it overheated you filled it and you didn't continue driving it without anything right? I had a situation like that because the water pump gasket blew. I did the same thing and I never had any problems, which I'm very greatful for by the way. But yeah if you did this without the thermostat and it still overheated it probs is the H.G. Is the coolant and oil milky?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I ended up not having time to run the compression test (busy college life and finals) so I took it to the shop down the street. The mechanic there said that when the previous owner put the new radiator in the cap was in bad shape and he reused it. The radiator cap was messing with the pressure. He says I need a new rad and rad cap. He did confirm no head gasket leak though. Looking to do the install soon with those and I will keep everyone updated. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, update on the car. I went to pick it up and the car would not start for me or the mechanic that morning. Left the car there and it has no compression. Likely either bent valves or cracked head according to him. More updates will follow. I hate other people working on my car but have only minimal tools here at school. Ugh :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
So the mechanic that first insisted it was not the gasket is now stating it may well be the gasket...sound strange....i had similar issues with mine.... come to find out someone had used Barrs leak stop in the overflow tank but insteaf of going into the system it actually clogged the hose from the overflow to the radiator...then i found a slight crack along the top of radiator so i flushed the system and replaced the thermostat along with the radiator(easiest radiator install ever) and my issues finally
stopped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waiting to get it back from the shop, the piston rings were fried so he is repairing that for me. Should have it any day now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just thought I would ask this quick here instead of making another thread. I am replacing a cracked intake manifold on the 2.4l and was wondering if there's anything to be careful of on these cars?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This mechanic is a sham. I would not pay for anything repairs made to a car with blown motor / no start issue. Which if the valves are bent and the rings fried, wouldn't start regardless of the condition of the radiator and cap

Take your car home

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had him put new rings and a radiator in. Car then ran. I took it home, I am the one installing this new manifold. The old one has visible cracking and makes the car run poorly. This doesn't have anything to do with the mechanic

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay, almost done with the manifold install. Had the car ready yesterday and it wanted to start but not quite. I found a disconnected hose and don't know where it goes. I cannot find a spot to hook it up.

This is the unhooked end of the hose on the drivers side of the vehicle:

[/URL][/IMG]

And this is the pipe it connects too:

[/URL][/IMG]

The hose is plugged into this pipe on the drivers side. Anyone know where this hose goes? Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also this is a list of exactly what was done at the shop to clear any confusion:

Head Gasket(head removal and inspection)
Plugs and Wires
T-stat
Piston Rings
Oil change
Rad assembly and Cap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts