Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought this 01 Eclipse 3.0 back in Feb with 102,000. Replaced plugs and wires, car ran beautifly, for a little while, Had problems with no heat inside the vehicleand was loosing colant, flushed heater core, replaced thermostat, radiator cap, coolant resevoir, then the radiator, then flushed the heater core again, and then everything was fine again...untill now, it is starting to overheat again, i really otice it when at idle, but also happens if i step on it on the interstate, water pump is not leaking, i smell burning coolant almost every time i drive but not sure if it could still be residual coolant from the leaking before. Just flushed coolant again just encase i didnt have the 50/50 mix right so i replaced it all...I am really not sure what to do next, i work at a Benz dealer so i have access to almost anything, and i can get aftermarket parts rele cheap, so let me know where i should start

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok, so I bought this 01 Eclipse 3.0 back in Feb with 102,000. Replaced plugs and wires, car ran beautifly, for a little while, Had problems with no heat inside the vehicleand was loosing colant, flushed heater core, replaced thermostat, radiator cap, coolant resevoir, then the radiator, then flushed the heater core again, and then everything was fine again...untill now, it is starting to overheat again, i really otice it when at idle, but also happens if i step on it on the interstate, water pump is not leaking, i smell burning coolant almost every time i drive but not sure if it could still be residual coolant from the leaking before. Just flushed coolant again just encase i didnt have the 50/50 mix right so i replaced it all...I am really not sure what to do next, i work at a Benz dealer so i have access to almost anything, and i can get aftermarket parts rele cheap, so let me know where i should start

Get mishimoto radiator...n maybe the fan kit

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
Don't just throw parts at it, get some info first. How dirty was the coolant originally? Hell, water pump could be weak too. Was the timing belt done? Any records of the water pump being replaced with the belt? Does the radiator fan kick on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The fan kicks on, there was a little debris in the coolant resevoir when i replaced the coolant on saturday, little dirt which turned to mud at the bottom, but after cleanin out it has not returned

And i purchased an oe radiator, the mishimoto was a little too pricey especially after all the other parts i had perchased

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i noticed when at stop lights it would go up, or when i would let it run in park, and when it heats up its around 3/4 maybe a little less...before i flushed it on saturday it would heat up when i would step on the gas hard, but the second i would release it it would go back to half, havent drivin to hard since then tho so idk if it still does under acceleration

·
RS-T in the making
303 Posts
Your radiator cap should have a psi pressure limit. Performing a pressure test wont do any good. You may have something clogging the system building up such high pressures and not allowing fluid to flow and cool correctly. Pull out your thermostat and test it with boiling water. If it opens then it should be good, if not replace it. Ive had a few new thermostats stick like that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i will try that tomorrow...but when you run it with out the radiator cap u can watch the coolant level go all the way up and all the way down, isnt that the thermostat opening and closing?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yup what he said ^^ if you've checked coolant levels and saw it rise and fall thinking the thermostat is working that shows your low on coolant. When the car is cold turn it on, remove rad cap, fill, as it starts to warm up begin to squeeze bottom rad hose untill air starts coming out. Continue to top off untill the bottom hose is too hot to squeeze. Place rad cap and you should be good to go seeing everything else is in order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.