Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
['03 GTS]
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have an 03 GTS.
Yesterday I replaced my timing belt along with my water pump. Doing this (water pump removal and replacement) caused all of the engine coolant to come out of the engine. Between the time i started the car back up and got it to the gas station to replenish the evacuated antifreeze the car overheated. Having only been a couple minutes i was not too sure what real damage could have occurred. Everything up until this point appeared to be routine.

So here is the problem: today when i started the car up i noticed that there was a loss of power and, most notably, the car wont rev past about 5,000 RPM.

NOTE: The timing belt was installed correctly. It runs fine regarding that matter. And, also, the engine is 100% OEM; no aftermarket parts installed.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
you tried the cheap way out, now you need to take it to a mechanic, and be prepared to possibly need to overhaul or replace the motor.

that's what happens to a motor that doesn't have coolant. you should have at least filled and burped the system with water for that 20 min drive.. it wouldn't last much longer without overheating, but it would have saved the motor...

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,427 Posts
:facepalm: Did you think running the motor with no coolant in it was ok? Next time have the car fixed by a professional.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I just so happen to know someone selling a GTS motor. Looks like you are in the market.

·
['03 GTS]
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, yeah, running with without coolant was stupid but i was told my by mechanic that it would be alright for that short of a duration. Guess i shouldn't have trusted him. You live and you learn.

·
54,436 Posts
And, yeah, running with without coolant was stupid but i was told my by mechanic that it would be alright for that short of a duration. Guess i shouldn't have trusted him. You live and you learn.
You'll need a new mechanic along with that engine.

·
Valor is eternal....
249 Posts
You actually can run an engine without coolant in it for the short-term, but not 20 minutes. Not even 10 minutes.

Short bursts is okay, but you way overshot that threshold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts