165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAR: Eclipse RS
Year: 2001
Mileage: 152k
Tranny: Automatic :mecry2:
Driven in Indiana and Michigan.
Car is always TLC by a college kid

Let me begin by thanking you to even read what I have typed and taking time out of your day to read this. :wavey:

Background Info:

Ok, where do I start. I bought my 01 rs eclipse with 130k on it in Michigan. Now the guy who owned it, was the owner of a gas station as well. Therefore he TLC the car most of the day. It always had a full tank and was always maintained. I bought this when I was in highschool and lets say I only put in a half tank since I live only 2 miles away from school. :rant2: I have owned it for 2 years and have TLC the car as well. Religious oil changes and maitainence were also part of it. I NEVER FILLED MY TANK FULL IN THOSE TWO YEARS!!! I just didnt have any need of a full tank. Now that I have college, I put in a full tank and after say 250miles of tht full tank my check engine light came on?!?:facepalm: My first idea, "oxygen sensor." I told my buddy at college what happened and he told me that since I never filled the tank up to full, the cars gas tank was rusted and had gotten into the fuel injectors. I would think that the fuel filter would stop this but he said it wouldnt help too much. At first the car started stalling like a manual would if the clutch was out too much. RPM would go from 300 to 700 and somewhat jerk. It would drive normally though once you get it going. I drive on country roads and do an average of 55mph for 20miles straight. The car goes full throttle without a single issue and drives normally. It only when you are at a stoplight or a total stop do the RPM's start to hesitate.

The Problem:

Car has "check engine light" on a 152k Spark Plug= 3 month old. Oxygen Sensor= ???
Drives normally and does good at WOT
First time filling the tank up in 2 years:sweat:
RPM's hesitate at a stoplight or at a stopsign.
Goes from 300 to 700 RPM?
Does it every now and then.
When leaving a stoplight, the car jerks and feels like a person who is driving a stick for the first time and is trying to get the clutch and gas to go together.

MY IDEA ON THE PROBLEM:
I think I need a new oxygen sensor. Car does have 152k. Rust from gas tank is a possiblity though and I am hoping I dont need a new fuel rail and injectors. OR maybe I am wrong all together. LOL

Once again THANK YOU FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS. Your help is truly appreciated.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Seriously, stop guessing and go to your local auto parts store and get the CEL code read and come back here and post it in detail so you can get some help.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Check Engine Light keeps on going on and off. :dunno:
While it's on get the code read, even if it's not on get the ECU checked for any Pending Codes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for looking like a dumbass.:facepalm:

When they check these "codes," what exactly will they be telling me? I am new to cars and have limited knowledge of how the ECU controls many things. Is this code going to tell me what the exact cause is or something around it?

Once again, sorry for stupidity.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Sorry for looking like a dumbass.:facepalm:

When they check these "codes," what exactly will they be telling me? I am new to cars and have limited knowledge of how the ECU controls many things. Is this code going to tell me what the exact cause is or something around it?

Once again, sorry for stupidity.
When your ECU detects a problem with the car a "trouble code" for that problem is stored in the ECU. When the problem remains the ECU will trigger the SES/CEL light to appear to let you know there is a problem. There are hundreds of trouble codes, open this link and scroll down to see the many trouble codes: OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes.

To read these trouble codes you will need an OBDII scan tool which your local auto parts store should have. They will hook up this scan tool to your OBDII port under your steering column and retrieve the trouble code(s) just like an emissions station does when you take your car in for emissions inspection (if your state requires it). Once you get that trouble code read you will now know what is wrong with your car. Post the trouble code here so someone can help you resolve it.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
Have you looked at our tanks? even being half full i believe gas would splash around inside the tank while driving. do what finesse said before anything else!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts