Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im having issues with my 2003 Spyder 3.0. Car ran great for years. I parked it during winter and now letting someone else use it and these codes pop up. The car will not idle or stay running unless you stay on the gas. You start it up and it bogs down and shuts off, smells like its running rich. Did some reading up and it looks like the P0113 Intake air temp sensor is part of the Mass Air Flow Sensor thats giving me the P00102, and the P0107 is the MAP sensor. So I changed both the MAF and MAP and no change to the car. It turns over and stars fine but bogs down and shuts off. So I put the old MAF sensor back on to see if there was any differences and no change. BUT, If I leave the MAF unplugged the car runs great. Idles fine, does not bog down, no issues at all. Being a friend has the car I cant walk outside and test it. What should I look for next time I working on it? I was thinking of testing voltages on the connector for each sensor but Im having trouble finding a diagram with any info on voltages at the sensors.

Being both the troubles for the MAP and MAF came up at the same time im starting to think its not a sensor issue and maybe a wiring issue. Other than checking the connectors and voltages I'm not sure what else to look at. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure you get the correct part number mass air flow sensor. The ones for the 4Cyl and V6 look very similar with exception to the inside. If you have the original number off of it, i have one I would part with if you can use it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I double checked and it list the one I have for the 2003 3.0. It could be bad out the box, but the part really throwing me for a loop is it runs great with the MAF unplugged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2002 spyer gts 3.0. I drove it to the paint shop and it had always ran fine now it wont start. It has gas. There are no codes. It did start twice to move it but after that it never started again. It has a new battery that was before i drove it to the shop. I hear the fuel pump. Im stumped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My guess would be that the MAF was dead on arrival. I had a very similar issue to yours on my 2.4L eclipse and went through two MAFs before the third one actually worked (one was from a salvage yard and one was new but dead on arrival). When you unplug the MAF the car supplies fuel based on a default map so it would make sense that the car can idle and run when unplugged. Also, it is my understanding that when you first start the car the car will supply fuel in open loop mode which calculates the air fuel ratio based on only the MAF and coolant temperature sensors (as opposed to using the O2 sensors), this would cause the rich smell and the car dying when idling if the MAF is faulty. To know for certain though it would ideal to hook up a OBD2 reader that can display diagnostics (there are really cheap ones that you can Bluetooth to your phone) and check fuel trims and any data coming from the MAF. One of my broken MAFs wasn’t showing a reading for the intake rate.

If you want to look through all the info that I found out you can check out the post I made about a month ago on this site: 2002 GS Engine cuts out and sputters when above 50%...

Also if you need to find voltages for sensors the service manual for both the 2.4L and 3.0L is here: 2000-2002 Eclipse Service Manual – Tearstone
The info you are looking for should be somewhere in the fuel pdf (13A)

Good luck with solving your issue!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@undedzed, thank you for this info. I have a bluetooth OBD2 reader for my phone but Im still trying to learn how to use it for anything other than reading codes. Im not sure how to set it up to look at fuel trims. I have OBD Fusion that I use most of the time but still trying to learn the ins and out of the app. I also have Torque but have no tried it out yet. I also have OBDWiz on my laptop with a OBD cable but Im not very experienced with it either. When I get a chance to check out the car again Ill try to setup my app to look at this and see what it does. I will probably pick up a new MAF from a local parts store and see what that does as well. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts