Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 GT, Stock
I've been throwing P0154 02 sensor no activity (bank 2 sensor 1). It only comes up when I'm driving long distances, and seems to be triggered when I hit a bump or when it's wet out.
From searching, it seems like the sensors get messed up when wet. I found the sensor and sensor connector in the FSM, and if I'm right, the sensor is in the front right under the upper radiator hose and the connector is on the driver side towards the front of the car.
I looked at it and it took a pretty good soaking from salty road water/slush.
Should I have the codes cleared, let the sensor dry, and see if the codes pop up again, or should i replace the sensor and maybe do something with the connector?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You are correct on the location. The plug for it will be the black one. Is it a stock or aftermarket sensor? I ask because if it is aftermarket then it could just be a break in the wire or water has gotten inside the part that attaches the OEM harness to the aftermarket sensor (Bosch provides a little black wiring box for this). If its an OEM sensor then I don't see how it would have gotten wet.... Drying it off would be a good start but I would check the sensor wiring insulation for any cuts, melted spots, etc just in case.

If drying it out and checking for insulation/wiring issues doesn't work then I would replace the sensor. Hopefully nothing got shorted while it was wet. An aftermarket sensor will run you around $70. I think an OEM one is more like $170.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor is OEM. Like I said, it only happens on long drives... is there a gasket around the sensor that might be cracked?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I think each sensor has a "crush washer" on it that acts like a gasket, however I have used old and even no crush gaskets and not had a leak issue. There are gaskets between each piece of piping (down pipe to y pipe, manifold to block, y pipe to cat back, etc). I guess it may be worth checking those gaskets although unless you have done a lot of removing and reinstalling of the exhaust or manifolds then I doubt a gasket would have gone out. :dunno:

Have you tried ohming out that sensor to see if the wiring is still good? You should get a reading of 4-8ohms between the 2 of the wires (I forget which side the wires are on but they are both on the same side inside the plug). If you get a reading between 4 and 8ohms then the sensor is good. At that point I'd start checking gaskets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts