·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAR: 2003

SUBMODEL: GT

TRANSMISSION: Sportronic

MILES: 94,000

PROBLEM: Car is hesitating/ running rough at idle and while driving after cleaning and oiling CAI. SEL came on and I took it to Autozone for diagnosis. It came back with code P0300, random misfire.

I replaced rotor, cap, wires and plugs. Car has more power but still had the same problem and code. After reviewing many posts on this site, I decided to unplug the MAF and when I do that, it runs perfectly smooth. I bought some CRC QD and cleaned the MAF today...let it dry, reinstalled it, did the reset by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting and then letting car idle for 10 minutes.

Took it for a drive and car was not as bad, but it did hesitate a little on highway and while idling, just not as bad. I pulled into my driveway and disconnected MAF again and it began to run smooth again.

Should I just leave the MAF unplugged? or does it need to be replaced? or is this something else?

MODIFICATIONS & MAINTENANCE: No modifications within the last year.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I guess I can bring it by the dealer. The CAI has been installed for about 2 years and I never had any problems. I cleaned the filter as usual. You still think I could have a vacuum leak when it runs perfect with the MAF unplugged?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Forget about everything else i got the same problem in my car like a year ago. Cause: Your spark plugs are out of gap you have to take then to 0.044 i think. To be shure check the ease ones firts

·
FearIsTheMindKiller
3,936 Posts
P0300 potentially could be a one of several things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
charles- you had the same thing, where the engine ran smooth when unplugging the MAF?

Thanks Evaz, the plugs are gapped at .044

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already did...it only helped a little. I've just been driving with the MAF disconnected and it has been fine. It tries to stall on cold starts, but only for about 10 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
How about a partialy clogged injector?

·
CURRENTLY AFK
334 Posts
I've been through the same problem. Like others have said, it can be a number of things. One thing that hasn't been said is bad o2 sensor. Replacing mine even though they were not throwing a code solved a P0300 for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FOUND THE PROBLEM! After swapping out the MAF sensor and it still was not fixed, I realized that the sensor was installed BACKWARDS! Yeah...idiot move. I put the old one in, the correct way, and it runs perfect. Thanks for everyones help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts