Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 3.0L with VIC and 168k and have been on the side of the road for a little over 3 weeks. This car has been taken care of it's whole life using synthetic fluids, only premium gasoline and maintenance at required intervals. I was getting off the highway and came to an abrupt stop but nothing crazy and as soon as I hit the brakes the car slows down, downshifts, shutters really hard then the check engine light came on and the car died rolling. P0335 and p0340 were the codes I got so I've replaced the camshaft and the crankshaft positioning sensor. While I was at it I also noticed the gashes in the timing belt and the two-piece passenger motor mount that should only be one. I replaced the timing belt and the motor mount as well. The car will crank all day long but won't start. Using the tearstone manual as a guide to follow more troubleshooting steps including replacing the alternator, checking the fuses and relays, and replacing the fuel pump and battery. Sounds much better but same results, cranks but won't start. I clear the codes after I replaced the timing belt, motor mount, camshaft sensor and crankshaft positioning sensor. I've been stuck on the side of the road for a little over 3 weeks now far from home and I could definitely use some help. I know the timings on point but I'm not able to check compression because I don't have the gauge. It sounds like something just isn't "catching" to fire up the motor but I have spark and I have fuel with a cold air intake. I also checked the starter and saw that the cam pulleys were turning so I figured the starter works. Unless the starters RPMs have significantly degraded so much since a successful start that it's not turning fast enough but I've never heard of that to be a thing . There's a first for everything though. Please please please help. I JUST WANT TO GO HOME.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Check compression. These are interference engines and you more than likely bent valves when the belt skipped/broke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check compression. These are interference engines and you more than likely bent valves when the belt skipped/broke.
Shouldn't it at least run even with a bent valve? Won't run very good at all but run nonetheless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The belt didn't break or lose tension. I replaced it because any kind of gash or gashes on a belt is not good. No idea how they got there but I will check it using my hand to cover the plug hole and remote start system. I'm I'm leaning towards an electrical issue.

·
Here for the drama
163 Posts
Check timing again, make sure you didn’t break your crank sensor due to a bent trigger wheel as well, when those two codes pop up though it really usually means you’re off timing.
Another note: People who are usually coming off the highway, or are on the highway when the belt gives, or skips teeth seldom ever get lucky with just one bent valve, multiple are usually bent ever so slightly and can cause a no start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Check timing again, make sure you didn’t break your crank sensor due to a bent trigger wheel as well, when those two codes pop up though it really usually means you’re off timing.
Another note: People who are usually coming off the highway, or are on the highway when the belt gives, or skips teeth seldom ever get lucky with just one bent valve, multiple are usually bent ever so slightly and can cause a no start.
Sounds like I might be taking the plenum off... again. Goodthing I carry extra gaskets. Haha It won't sound good but even having a slightly bent valve it should still run. Maybe might be predominantly the issue but I really think there's an electrical side creating that issue as well. I took a video of it cranking and what it sounds like, just in case. I've worked on tons of vehicles and never encountered this . I have replaced the crankshaft sensor with a known working crankshaft sensor just in case. I just don't get what would cause both of those dtcs at the same time with the condition of my car. Other than the TCL and ABS light on she runs like a champ. even now when I try to start it there's no clinking or rubbing or anything out of the ordinary other than it just not firing. When I pulled out the spark plugs cylinders 2, 4 and 6 they were wet with gasoline. I'm really hesitant to take off the plenum to get to 1,3, and 5.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Low compression will cause misfires and wet plugs. These engines don't bend just one valve when they skip timing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low compression will cause misfires and wet plugs. These engines don't bend just one valve when they skip timing.
Can any noticable sounds be heard when a valve bends? If I can do it without damaging them further can I just bend then back?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Can any noticable sounds be heard when a valve bends? If I can do it without damaging them further can I just bend then back?
Not really and no you can't. I would suggest finding a set of new heads if compression is low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In your career, have you seen any of these engines jump time and not damage any valves?
Dang, I was trying to avoid this hoping it wouldn't be the answer but nothing else fits. Is there anyway I could send a video file so you can hear it?

·
1,105 Posts
Dang, I was trying to avoid this hoping it wouldn't be the answer but nothing else fits. Is there anyway I could send a video file so you can hear it?
Grab yourself a compression test gauge and do a compression test. There are no tell tale sounds of bent valves. The engine just runs like crap, if at all, and compression will be low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grab yourself a compression test gauge and do a compression test. There are no tell tale sounds of bent valves. The engine just runs like crap, if at all, and compression will be low.
Fair enough... I hope I can convince AutoZone to let me borrow theirs for free because I'm almost out of money. I'll have to get it tomorrow. Another night in the car. It used to feel like camping.

·
Registered
515 Posts
In your career, have you seen any of these engines jump time and not damage any valves?
Yes but it's rare. On my 03 GTS the crank skipped 2 teeth and bent exhaust valves. My 04 Endeavor just skipped 2 days ago and bent valves but managed to somehow go back into time when I spun it by hand. Why Mitsu didn't just add deeper reliefs while keeping mass above the pin beats me.

Fair enough... I hope I can convince AutoZone to let me borrow theirs for free because I'm almost out of money. I'll have to get it tomorrow. Another night in the car. It used to feel like camping.
Are you living in your car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes but it's rare. On my 03 GTS the crank skipped 2 teeth and bent exhaust valves. My 04 Endeavor just skipped 2 days ago and bent valves but managed to somehow go back into time when I spun it by hand. Why Mitsu didn't just add deeper reliefs while keeping mass above the pin beats me.

Are you living in your car?
Yes, I used to use it for Postmates after I was let go from Freightliner because of covid-19.

·
1,105 Posts
Yes, I used to use it for Postmates after I was let go from Freightliner because of covid-19.
Ouch. Yeah I think they loan compression testers. Good luck, man. Hope things turn around for you.

Also, not sure what you've already done, but look into state programs and local charities that assist those that are unemployed and/or homeless. There might be stuff out there that can get you into a bed and a little money in your pocket while you look for work. At the very least, state unemployment benefits since you worked for freightliner?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks I appreciate it. I don't mind being with my car for now. I get $141/wk for unemployment.at this point it had to be a few bent valves. I've literally tested everything else related. I just don't know how many and which ones until I test the compression. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'll update soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an 03 3.0L with VIC and 168k and have been on the side of the road for a little over 3 weeks. This car has been taken care of it's whole life using synthetic fluids, only premium gasoline and maintenance at required intervals. I was getting off the highway and came to an abrupt stop but nothing crazy and as soon as I hit the brakes the car slows down, downshifts, shutters really hard then the check engine light came on and the car died rolling. P0335 and p0340 were the codes I got so I've replaced the camshaft and the crankshaft positioning sensor. While I was at it I also noticed the gashes in the timing belt and the two-piece passenger motor mount that should only be one. I replaced the timing belt and the motor mount as well. The car will crank all day long but won't start. Using the tearstone manual as a guide to follow more troubleshooting steps including replacing the alternator, checking the fuses and relays, and replacing the fuel pump and battery. Sounds much better but same results, cranks but won't start. I clear the codes after I replaced the timing belt, motor mount, camshaft sensor and crankshaft positioning sensor. I've been stuck on the side of the road for a little over 3 weeks now far from home and I could definitely use some help. I know the timings on point but I'm not able to check compression because I don't have the gauge. It sounds like something just isn't "catching" to fire up the motor but I have spark and I have fuel with a cold air intake. I also checked the starter and saw that the cam pulleys were turning so I figured the starter works. Unless the starters RPMs have significantly degraded so much since a successful start that it's not turning fast enough but I've never heard of that to be a thing . There's a first for everything though. Please please please help. I JUST WANT TO GO HOME.
Once I took the cam cover off the Left Bank it was very clear what the problem was. Easy to fix. Does a broken rocker arm necessarily mean bent valves? I know I should probably get a head gasket kit but considering my financial situation because of my car do I absolutely need a gasket kit?
I am gratefully accepting donations. Anything helps getting me out of this predicament.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts