Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
1,110 Posts
Depends on how the rocker arm broke. If it was an impact from a piston through the valve, then yeah, that thing is busted.

Also I'm fairly certain that a used head gasket will not seal. You might get lucky? But I'm not sure that's a bet worth taking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Depends on how the rocker arm broke. If it was an impact from a piston through the valve, then yeah, that thing is busted.

Also I'm fairly certain that a used head gasket will not seal. You might get lucky? But I'm not sure that's a bet worth taking.
Ok. I have to get donor valves and rockers from the junkyard because I don't have enough money to buy new. That's probably going to kick me in the tail when I need to buy those gaskets. FML Is there anything else I need to look out for replacing these things? Out of all the years I've been working on cars I've never had to do a head gasket, valve replacement. I didn't go looking for these jobs either.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a few spare 3.0 heads that may have good parts I could sell for cheap. At the minimum I have the rocker arms but won't know if the valves are good til I check.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a few spare 3.0 heads that may have good parts I could sell for cheap. At the minimum I have the rocker arms but won't know if the valves are good til I check.
I'll keep you on the back burner for that because I found a donor car with the same engine however mine has the Vic system and the donor car doesn't. The compression difference for a Vic system is vast. 119 for systems without Vic and systems with Vic is 223. The valves should still be the same though, correct?

·
Here for the drama
164 Posts
Correct, the major differences are mainly compression, cams, I/M, and trans.
Which means you’d have to swap cams over to new heads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Correct, the major differences are mainly compression, cams, I/M, and trans.
Which means you’d have to swap cams over to new heads.
I got a set of rockers from a donor car without the Vic system. My rocker says 13-3 on the side and The rocker I would be replacing it with says 9-3 on the side. They are the same size shape and angle. What's the difference between the two and where can I get lash adjusters?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I found out what the numbers mean. It's compression ratio. I'm having trouble finding a rocker arm. Does anyone have an intake open BG6/13-3 aka Intake front, they would be willing to very quickly sell so I can get home?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do any of those heads for 3.0 have the higher compression ratio rocker arms 13-3?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm almost certain the numbers are production batches and not related to GT/GTS. I can verify they have the same part numbers when I'm at work and get back to you.

·
Here for the drama
164 Posts
I got a set of rockers from a donor car without the Vic system. My rocker says 13-3 on the side and The rocker I would be replacing it with says 9-3 on the side. They are the same size shape and angle. What's the difference between the two and where can I get lash adjusters?
I think you’re thinking alittle too deep into it.. If you doubt me that much just measure your old with new again, I agree with murkrow, production numbers. They’re the same the last time I checked, because I almost did a GTS cam swap in my GT before I decided against it due to tune and N20; the cam, I/M, and compression make the differences in mechanical work. Either way if you’re trying to get home swap your rocker arm assembly, spin the crank to make sure everything is smooth a couple of times (timing belt), and if the green light permits, start her up! If someone/ thing likes you she may just.. Start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I found a 12-2 rocker arm in place of the 13-3 and it is the same thing I started with. I'm starting to suspect that it's my distributor but the plug I pulled out and grounded while starting proved I had electricity at least to that one cylinder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think you’re thinking alittle too deep into it.. If you doubt me that much just measure your old with new again, I agree with murkrow, production numbers. They’re the same the last time I checked, because I almost did a GTS cam swap in my GT before I decided against it due to tune and N20; the cam, I/M, and compression make the differences in mechanical work. Either way if you’re trying to get home swap your rocker arm assembly, spin the crank to make sure everything is smooth a couple of times (timing belt), and if the green light permits, start her up! If someone/ thing likes you she may just.. Start.
I replaced the rocker arm with a 12-2 and a new distributor but it still won't fire. I also got new plug wires. Still, cranks but won't fire. What are the chances it could be one of my ecu's or the fuel return line?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rocker arms only break on these when the piston and valve meet so do a compression test. It's what was suggested to you in the first place and would have cost you nothing if you borrowed the tool from the auto parts store.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,987 Posts
Once I took the cam cover off the Left Bank it was very clear what the problem was. Easy to fix. Does a broken rocker arm necessarily mean bent valves? I know I should probably get a head gasket kit but considering my financial situation because of my car do I absolutely need a gasket kit?
Wow! I don't recall a rocker going rouge like that before. Since it broke off on the intake side, you still had one valve open. You may have escaped major damage to your valve train.... at least it that's the way it appears. A compression test (as everyone has mentioned) will really tell the story once you've fixed the rocker arm situation and the timing belt is back in time. If compression is good, you won't have to pull the head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well... ALL of my intake valves bent. It was a very long process to replace them according to specs but I also repaired and painted some parts as I went. Now I'm just waiting for my battery to charge. At least my cylinders don't look too bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok so now I'm really concerned. It's doing the same thing but with a different slightly different tone. What are the chances some teeth came off the flywheel preventing the starter from catching?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,987 Posts
Ok so now I'm really concerned. It's doing the same thing but with a different slightly different tone. What are the chances some teeth came off the flywheel preventing the starter from catching?
So when you put it all back together, did the engine rotate easily by hand? This should've been done while you were redoing the timing belt.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts