Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

My car is a 3g Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.4L automatic transmission. The car was running great until the rpm started to jump up and down (from 1,000 to 2,000), and the check engine showed up. I scanned the car, and the code for the problem is "p0507" (rpm higher than expected). I changed a cracked breather hose, went to a mechanic to check the IAC valve (was not good, so he changed it) and the car was doing fine (no codes, rpm were back to normal; 700 rpm). This morning after 30 minutes driving the check engine light came back again (same code), after parking my car the rpm started to act up again jumping up and down. I opened the hood and I noticed a hissing sound coming from the back of the intake manifold, so I'm thinking a vacuum leak is the cause of my rpm issues. How can I inspect or look for vacuum leaks? Also, can the EGR valve cause this problem? If so, can it be removed without any issue (i.e. needs to be calibrated after removal)?
Additional symptoms and info:
1. When the A/C is on sometimes the rpm stops bouncing up and down.
2. When it reaches a certain temperature, the rpm does not bounce up and down.
3. Sometimes it idles roughly.
4. When I turn the steering wheel (left or right) the rpm slightly increases, then goes down.
5. The car is completely stock.

Sorry for any grammar errors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome!
TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely causes for this code to be set are:)•Idle air control motor failed.•Open or shorted idle air control motor circuit, or loose connector.•ECM failed. <M/T>•PCM failed. <A/T
This is taken from the Tearstone manual, the best manual for this car that is an incredible resource, I suggest you bookmark it. 2003-2005 Eclipse Factory Service Manual – Tearstone
CTRL+F allows you do search in pdfs to quickly find answers if the TOC is a bit vague.
I would start here in the MFI 2.4L section. A multimeter is your friend in following these steps to find your issue. Best of luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts