Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of the "depo" reverse lights off ebay and am looking to paint the chrome plastic to black.
I bought myself high temp paint, clear coat, and 2000 grit sand paper

If I do a fine sand on the plastic, wouldnt it dull out the color after painted (shine/reflection)??

Also, after cleaning my headlights I used a hair drier to dry inside, and on cold setting it burnt the inside. With this in mind, the suggestion was to use a hair drier on hot in the processor removing cover of the light. I can see burning it.

Thanks for comments.

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
first question i have for you is why did you buy high temp paint?

you're going to have to start a lot lower than 2000 grit if you dont want to sand for days. id say 800 grit would be all the higher you'd need to go for the job. i mean thats all the farther i sand exterior body parts before i paint them. sand them with 400. then 600 and then 800 and you'll be good for paint

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought high temp so I can use it on any part needed.

For sanding, since the casing was unused and new i wasn't even sure if I needed to sand.

That's why I'm asking for input :)
thanks for quick response I'm hoping to do it tonight.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I dont
I'm afraid that if using a hair drier to heat the inside (through bulb hole) would burn the plastic inside. No?
and is it neccissary to sand

That would be it.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I'm afraid that if using a hair drier to heat the inside (through bulb hole) would burn the plastic inside. No?
and is it neccissary to sand

That would be it.
W-T-F are you trying to do. Heating the inside through the bulb hole??? For what, to break the seal? I'll clue you in on something. I've busted 6 or 7 sets of rear corners experimenting ways to seperate the seal. The closest you will come is using the oven and baking them. However, the gluewith the way the corner curves by red corner piece prevents it from seperating regardless of what tool, heat temp, etc. If you want to make your own attempt and bust a new set of $50 corners to just buy another set for $50 (not $100 invested) and be back at square 1 and experimenting, go for it.

Rather than trying to take them apart and paint the inside, why not just tint the exterior properly? This will still black out the light but still allow for the light to come through to see when in reverse.

I do tint these as a service through SC Customs. The process is pretty extensive, I use sand papers ranging from 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, and 3000 and various buffers, pads, and compounds. Here's an example of a set finished:

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks hij for the comment
I've seen a member paint the inside and it turned out great. I cannot think of his name, but itwas a black car bronze wheels. I believed you questioned his work.

I guess nite shades are the safest way to go
may I ask where you guys buy the spray? I've been to advanced and auto zone and didn't see them

·
Hola
1,714 Posts
I got mine off ebay. You save about 4 bucks as opposed to oredering off other sites. Just google nite shades for real web sites or hit up ebay.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Anywhere online, its about 10-15/shipped.

By the time you get all your supplies, you're going to be up around 40-50+ in supplies. You need all teh sandpaper, clearcoat, buffing pads, rubbing compounds etc....

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything covered this can be closed

Hijacker I'd like to know prices for SCC to take care of the work
In also waiting forthe day you make fg Evo style hood:)

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that is the car! I have his members ride under my favorites, but i was on my cell phone and can't copy/paste :p

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To keep you guys updated. I decided to paint the inside since I had already bought the "tools". Took a long time heating up the lights and undoing the pounds of glue in these lights. I had success popping the lenses off. Used paint clear coat and paint. Called it a night and will look in the morning. Will post pics

1 - 14 of 14 Posts