Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trolling this board for a while, but yet, can't find anything on this issue. I went to Maaco today to get an estimate on their signature paint series, just trying to keep the same color (black). The guy said "I want to be a good guy. You may get some orange peel, so keep about $250 aside to take it and get it professionally wetsanded and buffed somewhere else about 2 weeks after being painted." Then he said their warranty would only cover "bad" orange peel, but would only define "bad" as: "If I look at the front bumper, and it looks like a golfball, that's BAD"!!! REALLY!!! This is AFTER I PAY HIM over $1000 for a base/clear baked urethane paint job! Does this make sense to anybody? Are all "non-custom"/production paint shops going to be like this, or will they usually do the wet-sanding/buffing before I get it (included into the price)? Just seemed kinda weird. He said they don't have the manpower to wet sand it. I'm an A1C in the Air Force, so I'm really dipping into savings/debt to get rid of the "magic disappearing paint" on my black 2005 sebring coupe, but if anybody knows a good shop to go in the Oklahoma City area for less than $2000, let me know! Thanks a lot guys!
--Brian
P.S.
When I do find somewhere to paint my car, what are the things I need to stipulate in the contract (i.e. wait a certain amount of time between coats, etc.)? Thanks a lot!

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
My best advice is to save some money and go somewhere else, Maaco isn't exactly what I would call quality work. Look around online, there are lots of Maaco horror stories. Granted, it will cost more money having it done somewhere else, but you will be happier with the results and in the long term get more out of your investment.

If you PM the member Hijacker on here, I'm sure he can give you some pointers on finding a good paint shop.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
For reference - a quality respray (as in, a complete paintjob) on a vehicle will range from $3k and up. Average costs, between $4500-$6000. (This price obviously varies by region and market, which is why I made a broad figure).

The only thing you will get for under $2k is shit. Save your money and don't even bother repainting the car - its not worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Ya, as embarassing as it is to drive this car, especially knowing it will get worse every time I wash it (or it rains), I'm just going to leave it alone. I really wish it had received a more durable clearcoat out of the factory, but can't do anything about that now. Anywho, thanks a lot for all your advice!

·
JVP
703 Posts
For reference - a quality respray (as in, a complete paintjob) on a vehicle will range from $3k and up. Average costs, between $4500-$6000. (This price obviously varies by region and market, which is why I made a broad figure).

The only thing you will get for under $2k is shit. Save your money and don't even bother repainting the car - its not worth it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Premium Member
31,369 Posts
Maaco ... The Premier Collision Center, that also Paints Cars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts