Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a year ago my parking brakes stopped working completely. I would pull the lever and not have any parking brake. Just before that happened the parking brake indicator on the dash would light up if the brake lever was pulled. I just installed new parking brake pads today and the parking brakes work fine. Only thing is, when I pull the parking brake lever the brake indicator on the dash doesn't light up now. When I turn the key to start the car, the brake light does go on so I know the light works. I know that when I apply the parking brakes by pulling the lever, the lever doesn't have to go as far back as it did before I lost the brakes completely. Could it be the switch on the parking brake lever that is causing this? I see in the shop manual that there is a test that can be done for the switch. Thanks for any help.

·
Spring King
4,967 Posts
See if you can test the switch by hand, maybe reach in w/ a finger or screwdriver or something. If that works then perhaps there's an adjustment that can be made for the switch?

If that doesn't work you'll have to dig further. I'm guessing the switch is making a connection (not breaking one) so you'd have to see if you can manually make that connection to test it, or pull the switch and attach it to a multimeter to see if it's working (beep if it gets continuity).

Been too long since owning my 3G to remember the details but all cars are pretty similar and pretty easy once you see how it works.

That's the stuff to check, have to go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts