Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Followed the DIY intruction on club3g except that I got a siphon from walmart and it didn't work so I disconnected the top hose and put a cup under it and turn the wheel 3 or fore times at a time without starting the engine while the wheel where jacked up and replished the fluid so often. I pushe two quartz through. I was amazed of how dark the fluid was and I think I saw like metal shaving or the sort. The power steering was making noises on very tight turns. Now is back to normal but like everything in this car. All has been used and abused. I already flushed the tranny and radiator as it too showed some rust and the tranny was sticking and vibratin on 3-4 . Soon I might have to do the brakes too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Holy crap mine is probably super black then cuz I haven't touched my PS fluid since I got the car. Mechanic tells me theres no need to change it unless the pump gives you problems.Still gonna do mine screw that lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
About to change mine for the first time ever at 154k. :sweat:
Yes I know, thats been forever, but others have told me that its really not needed. Seeing your post definitley makes me wanna change it out, ASAP.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What's this about the rack going out?? Is this a Mitsubishi thing? Or are we just talking normal wear & tear? Guess I'll be flushing my fluid soon... I doubt the previous owner ever did so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF in their power steering???

What have you guys been using to change yours since I have heard that SP III can cause problems:sweat:

·
Aple juic is my beer
8,831 Posts
I used Mobile1 synthetic ATF fluid

·
Registered
791 Posts
Has anyone used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF in their power steering???

What have you guys been using to change yours since I have heard that SP III can cause problems:sweat:
I'm actually curious about this myself; I have a few quarts of that same Castrol that I wanted to use for this. It's supposed to be compatible with Dexron III-and-prior, SP II, and SP III; I can't see why it wouldn't work. Haynes manual says to use Dexron II , Mitsubishi service manual says to use Diamond II.

·
Registered
791 Posts
OK so I finally flushed *my* power steering fluid. The original stuff was yellow-brown. I wonder if someone used regular (clear) p/s fluid to top off the reservoir? A bit spilled out as I did so, when I came back to clean the puddle up, the edges were frozen! (it's cold outside!!) So the old stuff definitely had water in it.

Anyway, I used the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. For the flush, it took 1.75 quarts until red fluid was coming out of the return hose. I went on a test drive and nothing exploded so I think the fluid's OK to use. :)

Oh and the car (and probably that old fluid) had 139,081 miles on it when I did the flush.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Update....

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have flushed my power steering with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and have put well over 10k on this fluid. Fluid is still bright red.

Car after flush felt A LOT smoother and turns very smoothly also. I would definitley recommend anyone to do this. I did my flush at 154k. :agreed:

Heres a pic of the bottle:

·
Registered
206 Posts
:yesway:
Hows Castrol IMV holding up in the tranny? I did not know they were compatible :dunno:
Castrol IMV works pretty good,it is a good replacement for the SP-II/SP-III. People at kia and hyundai forums swear by this stuff, and they also spec for SP-III
Here's the data sheet of IMV. Scroll down to the second page for compatibility list.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf
I have personally tested it in mazdas,hondas and mitsubishi. Never had a problem. They all shifts nice and smooth.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Castrol IMV works pretty good,it is a good replacement for the SP-II/SP-III. People at kia and hyundai forums swear by this stuff, and they also spec for SP-III
Here's the data sheet of IMV. Scroll down to the second page for compatibility list.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf
I have personally tested it in mazdas,hondas and mitsubishi. Never had a problem. They all shifts nice and smooth.

I am going to give it a shot. Did you just drain and fill with Castrol IMV or do an entire flush? I am hoping Diamond Sp3 ATF and Castrol IMV ATF mix well together in the tranny. :sweat:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did a drain and fill at 89,000 miles for the first time (previous owner neglected the transmission)...
Mysteriously 8 qts. came out of my trans by just opening the drain plug. So i replaced like 90% of oil with a single drain and fill. Look here:

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/160061-automatic-transmision-drain-fill.html

Don't worry about mixing the oil. There's alot of people at bobistheoilguy.com doing drain & fills with SPIII and castrol IMV. They are fully compatible.
Do another drain and fill in a week or so and you'll get like 70% of new oil.

Also if you have questions about mixing the oil or any other kind of question,you can contact castrol and they answer right away. the Customer support is very nice. just fill in this form:

Castrol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts