Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
we can make you talk
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys running FI setups, to include the RIPP SDS stages 2.5-3 what pistons are you using. I've looked around and can't find a good answer. I'm building a daily driven Strat R/T with the Stage 2.5 I need to select pistons for my setup and don't know which ones to get. Knowledge of traditional setups on muscle cars tells me to go with 8.5 compression pistons. But, from what I've read it appears you could raise it to the 9.5's and run safely because of computer tuning on a newer car such as ours. What do you guys suggest? Thanks for the help.

·
wise man
171 Posts
check the rippmods message boards. good reads there, with the vortech they found that they can have higher compression pistons over turbo applications at the same boost.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
For high boost applications and to stay streetable with pump gas, go as low as you can. 8.8:1 is a good standard starting point. In order to select the right piston, you have to understand how octane, tuning and timing all work in harmony. Realistically is has to be tailor made to what you want to eventually do with the car.

Rippmods I believe has their own recepie with the black box/grey box tuning so they should be able to pass along recommendations on what they found to work best with their meth setup & the type of power they are making etc. In this case, you are probably best discussing this with Rippmods.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You should call RIPP. I am using the RIPP 9.2:1 pistons at this time. There are many different available setups as far as boost/compression ratio goes. You can buy a little higher compression piston and not have to run as much boost to make good power.

As Tearstone mentioned it is all in what you want to do with the car in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts