Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 3G TEMP NEEDLE KEEPS GOING OVER THE MIDDLE AND THEN 5 MINS LATER IT WILL STABILIZE TO THE MIDDLE AGAIN, COULD THIS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE THERMOSTAT OR DOES IT HAVE SOMETHING ELSE WRONG WITH IT. I CHANGED OUT THE WATER PUMP AND NEW RADIATOR AT 120000 MILES AND NOW SHE IS AT 135000

I LIVE IN AZ AND ITS STARTING TO GET REAL HOT SO PLEASE HELP BEFORE ITS TO LATE

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,048 Posts
CAPS LOCK OFF

check your coolant, make sure your fans turn on. If those are good then change the temp sensor that goes to the gauge. Also burping it would hurt either

·
The Irishman Sheamus
687 Posts
For how specific you were on you problem, we'll be able to help, oh so greatly. A little fluctuation in the needle is fine unless it's spiking. Crank your heat if you feel it's going too high. And the most important.... SEARCH! That button will help you beyond belief. This link right here took me two seconds to find. It has a plethora of info on possible problems

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAPS LOCK OFF

check your coolant, make sure your fans turn on. If those are good then change the temp sensor that goes to the gauge. Also burping it would hurt either
ok thanks man. the fan turns on just fine and i had actually had the coolant flushed when i go the radiator changed back in june 2012. ill check that as soon as i can. no one seems to be able to tell me what might be wrong all they say that it "could" be the thermostat. what do you mean by burping?

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,048 Posts
you can also feel your hoses to see if your thermostat is opening up properly

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can also feel your hoses to see if your thermostat is opening up properly
thanks man sorry if i sound ignorant but this is my first time on here. really appreciate the patience tho. summer in arizona is killer so im trying to get this issue resolved asap. im going check the thermostat this weekend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure that your coolant was bleed correctly. If air bubbles are in there then it will create air pockets and do that. Use a spill free funnel to bleed coolant should take around 15 minutes to complete.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a similar problem, until I read a thread on this forum that really helped me out. I replaced my thermostat with an Autozone one, and then later, an advance auto parts one. None of these were actually correct and the temp gauge would fluctuate like you described. It wasn't until I bought one direct from Mitsubishi that my issue of overheating in traffic and idle went away. You see, the one from Mitsubishi had a "jiggle Valve" built in. Once I swapped out the Mitsubishi one, my problems were automatically fixed. I had so much trouble burping the system with those non-factory ones, that I could never get all of the air out of the system. The one from the dealer is EXPENSIVE, but comes with a new rubber gasket and saves so much grief. I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i have a similar problem, where the needle would go 3/4 up. but this would only happen when i turn the A/C on but only on idle. when i drive with the a/c on, nothing seems to happen. the needle stays in the middle. but when i stop, it would go 3/4. this doesn't happen when i don't have the a/c o though. any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts