Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Eclipse GT 3.0, 5 speed.

Overheats, but usually only if its moving. Won't overheat idling usually.
NEW thermostat, radiator and hoses.
I have next to no heat,
runs at a normal temp for about 15 minutes of driving AFTER its already at operating temp. If I start it cold, and never move it, just let it idle, it doesn't overheat. Fans ARE kicking on

So, I'm stuck between radiator cap (Most likely not), waterpump and a clog somewhere such as the heater core? The TOP radiator hose gets hot, NOT the bottom, Stat I tested before installing, Radiator is new....

Thanks for your help ahead of time! I just want this peice of shit fixed....its starting to make me hate it...lol

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
Coolant is flowing. It's either not being pumped in the first place or there is something blocking it. Radiator cap wouldn't keep it from flowing. Bad thermostat would. I don't think the heater core being clogged would cause too much of a cooling problem since it just uses a small diameter auxiliary hose coming off.

You mentioned it was a new radiator...do they come with plugs in the inlet and outlets to keep dirt out? If so...did you forget to remove one of them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant is flowing. It's either not being pumped in the first place or there is something blocking it. Radiator cap wouldn't keep it from flowing. Bad thermostat would. I don't think the heater core being clogged would cause too much of a cooling problem since it just uses a small diameter auxiliary hose coming off.

You mentioned it was a new radiator...do they come with plugs in the inlet and outlets to keep dirt out? If so...did you forget to remove one of them?
Do you mean the in/outs for the auto trans? No plugs for that, no.

So it is logical to assume that if the waterpump is bad, I won't have heat? This was my first thought but a mechanic told me it wouldnt effect the heat.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
I meant plastic plugs over the inlet and outlet for the main hoses. And as mentioned before, did you burp it properly? If not, park it on a hill where the fill cap is the highest point of the car or jack it up, drive on ramps, etc. Then fill it completely up. If all of that fails, you could have a bad water pump. But if all of this magically happened right after you did some work on it, 99.9% chance it's something you did that caused the problem, not a water pump or something else.

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
How "dirty" was the fluid? If it was a nasty/rusty looking brown then yes, you're heater core is more than likely clogged with nasty-ness. If you changed out the radiator, hoses and such make sure you "burped" the entire system well. Cause if you didn't there is air trapped inside the system and not allowing water to flow.

I doubt the water pump is out. They last forever almost.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I doubt the water pump is out. They last forever almost.
I really wouldn't go so far as to say that.. When I purchased my 3G in 07, the first thing I did was have the timing belt and waterpump replaced as preventative maintenance. About 30K miles later or less, and my pump went bad. I know that's not typical, but it can happen.

I have to agree with most previous advice though, sounds like there's air in the system.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
Calling it a piece of shit isn't going to make me want to help much.... more often than not it's a shit mechanic that is the cause of most problems.

The first thing to have tested is the radiator cap to see if the system can operate at proper pressure, then test the system itself for leaks.

Did you reinstall the thermostat properly? Did you flush when you had the new radiator put in? Did you properly burp the system?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
A bad water pump either squeals or seizes, the impeller on our pumps can't detach from the assembly without catastrophic failure. If it seizes, there goes your timing. Otherwise you'll just hear it.

Why does no one seem to understand that the upper hose is SUPPOSED to be hot while the lower is SUPPOSED to stay cool. Wtf do you think you're radiator does!? The lower hose should only ever be even slightly warm if the thermostat is open on a mad hot day where the radiator can't cool fast enough.

Reburp the system. If you need to, jack the front of the car up and run it up to heat while adding coolant.

·
54,393 Posts
sitting still the upper and lower hoses will be fairly even temp once the thermostat opens, with the fans off you won't be able to feel a difference with your hands...hell even when the fans kick on you won't be able to feel a difference. it goes from boiling to scalding :lol:

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
I really wouldn't go so far as to say that.. When I purchased my 3G in 07, the first thing I did was have the timing belt and waterpump replaced as preventative maintenance. About 30K miles later or less, and my pump went bad. I know that's not typical, but it can happen.

I have to agree with most previous advice though, sounds like there's air in the system.
Worked at Mitsubishi for a while, and we hardly ever had to replace any, unless the coolant was just THAT nasty and destroyed the blades. Did you replace yours with OEM? Or some aftermarket one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I didn't burp the system, I'm not %100 sure how. I'm not a shit mechanic, I'm still learning shit. And me calling it a peice of shit isn't going to emotionally torment the car, so don't be a douche Worldwind. It's called frustration.

Everything I've replaced has been in an attemped to solve the overheating problem. The bottom hose is not only colder, but also dry as a bone, so the water is clearly not circulating.

I've not tested the cap because I don't have the tool for the job.

Its been overheating since the day I bought it, so if the waterpump ever made a sound, i didn't hear it.

I'm in the process of replacing the timing belt, and waterpump now, if you guys are sure it's just air in the system, maybe I'll just put the belt on, forget the pump and get my money back? Its not making any noise, but there is absolutely no circulation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the Hadraulic tensioner.... So I now have a new radiator, waterpump, timing belt, thermostat, tensioner and hoses....lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts