Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Ken Chereck, I’m a 3g enthusiast who is looking to help out the community. Although I’m an accountant by trade, I’m an experienced welder and amateur machinist. I recently purchased a tig welder, and I’m considering making a set of hot pipes for the 3g GT/GTS guys. I’m only interested in producing the pipes themselves, leaving the rest up to the end-user.

Ideally, I would like to make these pipes a direct bolt on to the stock manifolds. That way you can avoid going to an exhaust shop to have things altered to fit. It would place the turbo off to the side similar to the kits that Tearstone, Xtech, and DDP sold. I can put whatever flange you want on it as far as the turbo and wastegate goes. Cost would be determined on the cost of materials and the amount of time I will have in them. I will ballpark it at a later date, expect something affordable.

If I end up producing these, it will be a limited-run, made-to-order basis. Providing I get a test-fitter I would start producing them in mid/late May 2008, having them ready to ship by mid June. If you are interested in a set of them, please PM me. I’m looking for people who are seriously interested. If you’re unsure of what you want to do, or need more information before you decide to commit, then please do not reply.

I’m not trying to make a permanent business out of this, nor take away from the others producing parts for this car. I see that there is a need for these pipes, no one is producing them currently, and I’m more than capable of producing them. I have a ~3200 sq. ft. facility to work in, it has an in-ground lift, bridgeport, and lathe on site. Beyond that I have the help of my old man, who was a machinist and millwright for 30+ years...

I’m consulting a CPA I work with about starting this little business venture. I want to make sure I’m properly set up on the financial side of things. I don’t know if I need a business license, etc., or if this would go under “hobby income” since it will be a limited production. Basically I’m not selling them unless it is legal income. I have seen too many audits to try to sneak anything under the IRS.

I want to gauge the amount of interest in this before I go any further. My being committed to the project isn’t the issue; it’s the marketability of the product. It’s not worth me spending the time to develop them and make a jig if I’m only going to be able to sell one or two - especially considering the cost of materials going in to them. I have been putting a lot of thought into this over the last couple weeks, looking at different setups and orienting myself with the GT/GTS. We can get in to specifics, finding a test fitter, etc., later on. Let me know what you guys think.

-Ken

·
Registered
384 Posts
when are you planning on needing a car for test fitting? im about 1.5 hour drive from erie. just south of new castle on 79. also how long would you need the car for?

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, my garage is located just north of Sharon, PA. Only about a 1/2 hour drive for you. I would need the car for approximately a week. To reduce down time, I will have all the pipe and bends (including enough to fix any screw-ups) before we start. Check your PM here in a bit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Actually, my garage is located just north of Sharon, PA. Only about a 1/2 hour drive for you. I would need the car for approximately a week. To reduce down time, I will have all the pipe and bends (including enough to fix any screw-ups) before we start. Check your PM here in a bit.
Anything for us 3.5L guys? I have been thinking of dumping the SDS and going the turbo route.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,035 Posts
Check your pm box. Biggest problems are cost and limited interest, same old story.
I agree. But more often then not, good intentions for bring a product to this community ends up being a load of empty promises. Get your test fitter and build the prototype and jig and then re-offer the pipe set.

I not trying to slight your person, but I'm basing this on my own experience in bring a product to this community. I had a local shop willing to produce some draw-thru pipes for the SDS. I talked to Russ about it and he recommend to wait until I actually had a product before making an announcement on the boards. I agreed and I'm glad that I did. It turns out that the shop and I didn’t share the same enthusiasm for the product. I tried multiple times to get the jig built, but for one reason or another, the shop couldn't find the time to do it. It fell apart from there.

I know your situation is different in terms of not having to depend on a second party. I do wish you luck in this endeavor.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
:wavey:

If anyone needs a hand in getting a product manufactured, I'm here and I don't let things get pushed to the side.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree. But more often then not, good intentions for bring a product to this community ends up being a load of empty promises. Get your test fitter and build the prototype and jig and then re-offer the pipe set.

I not trying to slight your person, but I'm basing this on my own experience in bring a product to this community. I had a local shop willing to produce some draw-thru pipes for the SDS. I talked to Russ about it and he recommend to wait until I actually had a product before making an announcement on the boards. I agreed and I'm glad that I did. It turns out that the shop and I didn’t share the same enthusiasm for the product. I tried multiple times to get the jig built, but for one reason or another, the shop couldn't find the time to do it. It fell apart from there.

I know your situation is different in terms of not having to depend on a second party. I do wish you luck in this endeavor.
Thank you for being genuine and speaking your mind about this, honestly. I realize your concerns due to the amount of projects that have fallen through, or keep getting pushed back indefinitely. I think most people don't know what they're getting into when they announce these projects, and when they see the reality of it they flake. I did my research, I know what I'm getting into. Unfortunately its not pretty. There is a very limited market for these pipes, and most shops would consider it more work than its worth. What good is it to them if they can't move a decent amount of product?

I agree with you though- the way you suggested is the proper way to go about introducing a new product. The purpose of this thread was to gauge the legitimate interest in the market to see if its worth me producing a limited number of made-to-order pipes. (Consider it cost/benefit analysis.) Don't get me wrong, I'm still willing to take on a custom project, but its going to cost more, etc. If "McDzzl5" is still interested in being my test fitter, I will get the ball rolling soon, hopefully get you pictures by mid/late may.

:wavey:

If anyone needs a hand in getting a product manufactured, I'm here and I don't let things get pushed to the side.
I can testify to that statement! HIJACKER is a great guy to work with. I have a couple of his shift knobs in my 3g and 3si. I just contacted him today about cutting some flanges for this setup.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Speaking about things getting pushed aside Hijacker. Ill be getting in touch with you shortly about the fuel door we discussed.
Sounds good. That's still a pending item on the list and I've been waiting for you to follow up. :)

i've seen some of hijackers machine work and it's awesome. Flytraps nx plate.
Thanks. :cool:

I can testify to that statement! HIJACKER is a great guy to work with. I have a couple of his shift knobs in my 3g and 3si. I just contacted him today about cutting some flanges for this setup.
No guarantees until I get the measurements, we decide on material and I can esimate costs. But assuming there are no major bumps, shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts