Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was finally able to get my upper intake installed. I had it powder coated with high heat chrome. It looks pretty decent in there. This also corrected my fast idle. Turns out the o right in the biss screw was missing so it must have been sucking air in there. The next step is to repaint the front heat shield with high heat silver then my engine bay is done.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
I assume you meant to say "O" ring. That would certainly explain your idle problem. It probably did not show any code either. I do not believe it would in a case like that. Well NOW are you going to start DRIVING that thing ? Mine has been mostly parked this summer. A few trips up the hill. Gas is about $5.85 gal. still, and it has been brutally hot so we do not go very many places this year. Not what I had planned when I put it back in service in the spring. It gets it's turn out of the garage now and then, but the last few times up the hill we had a lot of supplies to carry so we used one of the larger vehicles. Anyhow, yours looks good :cool: ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct J.D... That one got by me. I was very surprised at how easy this job was. While I had things out of the way I also replaced the thermostat and both the temp sensors. Here is a pic of the Biss screw that I removed. As you can see the top is busted away and no O ring...

Table Wood Lighting Comfort Tableware

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought an upper intake and had it chrome powder coated...I had a fast idle problem and I was sure it was because of the biss screw. Turns out I was right. I could have just replaced the biss screw and O ring but I wanted to dress up the engine bay a little more. You have to admit the results are beautiful..
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
I bought an upper intake and had it chrome powder coated...I had a fast idle problem and I was sure it was because of the biss screw. Turns out I was right. I could have just replaced the biss screw and O ring but I wanted to dress up the engine bay a little more. You have to admit the results are beautiful..
View attachment 45325
Hey, maybe you could commission Bansky to graffiti paint your car and then enter it in shows???

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
A bit of technical information on this for those not familiar with the workings of the throttle bodies of these engines. This screw sets the base air intake setting [thus the base idle speed]. I read a lot about idle speed issues with these engines. This is the place you should look first if you have a high idle condition. The throttle plate is fully closed at idle, and this bypass port is how the fuel/air mixture reaches the engine until the throttle is opened. Vacuum leaks can affect idle speed but it would have to be in a place where ALL the cylinders are affected equally [air plenum], otherwise the vacuum leak would just result in a rough idle or stalling. There is a factory base setting for this screw [1 1/2 turns]. Once the screw and it's "O" ring are properly in place and adjusted, the ECU will take over and establish the correct idle during the fuel trim reset sequence, providing the idle servo mechanism is not faulty. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are definitely right J.D...The upper intake and throttle body I got from a donor car took care of my fast idle. I'm sure my fast idle was more than just the O ring missing from the biss screw. Now I am troubleshooting a P0403 and P0442 code.I erased the codes but they came back the same thing so I may have to get a new EGR Valve .

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
Now I am troubleshooting a P0403 and P0442 code.I erased the codes but they came back the same thing so I may have to get a new EGR Valve .
Don't replace the EGR valve yet. The P0403 code is set by the EGR solenoid or it's wiring, not the valve. So start with the solenoid. You should measure 29 − 35Ω resistance across the solenoid's two electrical terminals. Check for signal to the solenoid by turning the ignition ON and measuring voltage between the disconnected harness pin 2 and ground. You should see battery voltage on your meter.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know my 2001 has at least it's 3rd EGR solenoid in it [143,000miles]. They do not seem to last. I suspect they are prone to heat failure. Fortunately, they are inexpensive. Might be cool to have the hood louvered a bit, like the early hot rods. It would help lower the under-hood temperature and if done nicely, it looks cool as hell. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you for the info @jelazar ... I do have another solenoid if the one on the car is bad. I will check the resistance as you say. Thanks
Funny you should mention louvers J.D... I was speaking to a fellow that does this but found it to be too expensive...
Hey @Sisyphus58 ...Bansky is too busy and he refuses to sign his work so I told him to forget it.

Asphalt Motor vehicle Font Rectangle Road surface

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeh...They have always been expensive. I feel they are one of those things where less is more. Too many louvers quickly becomes ugly. I would like a small patch of louvers on my hood between the two "speed bumps". A tasteful touch of them can look great. The under-hood temp on these V-6s can get pretty high. ...J.D.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
I've got my eye on a carbon fiber hood with louver on driver side near front to feed air to intake. I'm negotiating a paint job to save money from not having to paint the hood so I can afford the CF hood

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've got my eye on a carbon fiber hood with louver on driver side near front to feed air to intake. I'm negotiating a paint job to save money from not having to paint the hood so I can afford the CF hood
I don't care for the carbon fiber look myself. I think the car looks unfinished. If I louvered my steel hood, I would paint it to match the car. Just my opinion, I know. ...J.D.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Update. I replaced the EGR solenoid and my check engine light is gone. No more fast idle ...car is running great and getting great gas mileage.
Just out of curiousity, how high was your idle? every now and then the insufficient flow EGR code pops up but, Im chasing bigger issues now (having to do with my brake/battery light coming on and upper and lower oil pans leaking).

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
709 Posts
I know my 2001 has at least it's 3rd EGR solenoid in it [143,000miles]. They do not seem to last. I suspect they are prone to heat failure. Fortunately, they are inexpensive. Might be cool to have the hood louvered a bit, like the early hot rods. It would help lower the under-hood temperature and if done nicely, it looks cool as hell. ...J.D.
I'm at 94K with the original solenoid, so your experience is making me paranoid enough to consider replacing mine BEFORE it goes bad.
I'm also on the original clutch and timing belt, alternator and starter, but have new ones of each just waiting for me to get motivated when this heatwave ends.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just out of curiousity, how high was your idle? every now and then the insufficient flow EGR code pops up but, Im chasing bigger issues now (having to do with my brake/battery light coming on and upper and lower oil pans leaking).
Believe it or not, my car idled at 2500 RPM...I had to ride the brake to keep in the flow of traffic. After reading a lot of posts on this subject It gave me the courage to replace the upper intake on my own. It was a very simple job. I was afraid to do it because of all the sensors/solenoids and wiring. I am over the moon with joy now that my car is running strong...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Believe it or not, my car idled at 2500 RPM...I had to ride the brake to keep in the flow of traffic. After reading a lot of posts on this subject It gave me the courage to replace the upper intake on my own. It was a very simple job. I was afraid to do it because of all the sensors/solenoids and wiring. I am over the moon with joy now that my car is running strong...
I've never fully taken the Upper plenum off but, just to do spark plugs and valve cover gaskets but, my next trip in, I'll pull mine off completely, clean and paint it. I may get a cheap one from the junkyard and have it ready. I saw someone sell a polished one on Facebook that looked really good.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts